Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2018/09/07 14:34:42 UTC

Provide alpha releases via Apache repo

Hi,

I haven't even announced 4.0.0 yet and now we've already got two issues and both might have been found earlier, if the trunk would be tested by a broader user base.

Wouldn't it make sense, to modify the build to upload to the Apache repo and provide a note on how to use it as an additional maven repo?

Andi

Re: Provide alpha releases via Apache repo

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ wrote:
> This was also the way I started to contribute, first testing my changes
> against my pet project by local publishing Maven artifacts to my .m2 for
> a first try.
>
> However, there had been a steep step until I managed to gather all
> necessary info and… the will to solve an issue that was already several
> years on BugZilla.

IIRC it's something like "ant clean mvn-install", which should do a build
of the jars then the poms then prod maven to install it all locally

If someone with a build that currently passes the unit tests wants to try
that, confirm/fix, then update the website, that'd be great :)

Nick

Re: Provide alpha releases via Apache repo

Posted by Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ <AB...@FOR-Scala.IT>.
> On 7 Sep 2018, at 19:04, Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Alternatively are we using GitBox so that the repos is on GitHub? If so then they can fork on GitHub to test.
>
> We don't use the read/write gitbox, but we do have a github mirror, and IIRC some docs on the website about forking it there, opening pull requests etc

This was also the way I started to contribute, first testing my changes against my pet project by local publishing Maven artifacts to my .m2 for a first try.

However, there had been a steep step until I managed to gather all necessary info and… the will to solve an issue that was already several years on BugZilla.

i don’t remember clearly how all this started… But clearly we could have a one-stop page with enough details about how to clone from the mirror and run a local install for fast experimentation of newest features.

My ¢2,
Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ

Re: Provide alpha releases via Apache repo

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Release Policy is such that publishing a snapshot to a public, open
> repository is not allowed.
>
> See http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-definition
> <http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-definition>

Just what I was about to post!

So, nope, not allowed, sorry. We can make it available for testing, just
not to people who aren't actively invovled and largely aware of the risks
/ lack of foundation sign-off etc.

> If we want to produce Alpha and Beta then we will need to VOTE on these.

That's what we have done in the past in the run up to big releases /
changes. I don't know how that'd fit with our new semver-style world
though?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Release Policy is such that publishing a snapshot to a public, open repository is not allowed.

See http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-definition <http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-definition>

If we want to produce Alpha and Beta then we will need to VOTE on these. Or, we can let our users and dev know on the Mailing List where to find snapshots. We can put something in the RELEASE NOTES and I think there is something on the website. We could add a note on how to hack a user’s .m2 directory to put a SNAPSHOT into their maven builds.

Alternatively are we using GitBox so that the repos is on GitHub? If so then they can fork on GitHub to test.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

I would first like to understand why the problem with XML Parsing/entity
expansion happened. We do check with various JDK versions and also OpenJDK,
so I assume the user still had Xerces or another XmlParser added via some
other library-dependency.

So the action-item here would be to test with Xerces XML Parser, which I
thought we do at
https://builds.apache.org/view/P/view/POI/job/POI-DSL-old-Xerces/, maybe
that is broken somehow since some time. We can look there and fix it.

Regular snapshots in a maven repo would be good for ourselves, as most
committers have their own projects using Apache POI, and at least those
could make use of newer snapshots more easily then.

I would still go with the release as planned, users will handle a major
release with care anyway and wait at least for a 4.0.1 to be "ready".

From a "cover all supported cases" standpoint I think we are covered quite
well already with all the different builds that we run regularly, let's
first find out what slipped through here and if this is affecting more than
just a few installations.

Dominik.

Posted by Alain FAGOT BÉAREZ <AB...@FOR-Scala.IT>.

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.