Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jeesoo Shin <bs...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/05 07:55:30 UTC

slow read

Hi all.

I have very SLOW READ here. :-(
I made a cluster with three node (aws xlarge, replication = 3)
Cassandra version is 1.0.6
I have inserted 1,000,000 rows. (standard column)
Each row has 200 columns.
Each column has 16 byte key,  512 byte value.

I used Hector createSliceQuery to get one column in a row.
This basic query(random row, fixed column) is created with multiple
thread and hit cassandra.

I only get up to 140 request per second. Is this all I can get for read?
Or am I doing something wrong?
Interestingly, when I request rows which doesn't exist, it goes up to
1600 per second.

ANY insight, share will be extremely helpful.
Thank you.

Regards,
Jeesoo.

Re: slow read

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Where is the client running from ?

To see if a node it keeping up with requests look at nodetool tpstats, check if the read stage is backing up.

To see how long a read takes, use nodetool cfstats and look at the read latency. (this the latency of a read on that node, not cluster wide)

To see how long a read takes cluster wide, use the StorageProxyMBean via JConsole.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer