Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2016/05/19 06:29:38 UTC

Sample NOTICE file contents

Hi,

I notice the sample notice file here [1] (and linked to from several locations) but it no longer matches the HTTP project’s NOTICE file [2]. Any objections if I updated this to the current version?

Also while we have a stock / boilerplate LICENSE file [3] we don’t have a stock / boilerplate NOTICE file anywhere I can find. (Closest is [5]) Any objections if I placed one here [4] with the following text?

Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
Copyright [XXXX-XXXX] The Apache Software Foundation

Having the text somewhere that can be got at via URL may be useful for checking or generating NOTICE files. And there's been least one change to the wording in the past in the above text i.e. “developed by” to “developed at".

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
2. https://github.com/apache/httpd/blob/trunk/NOTICE
3. https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt
4. https://www.apache.org/licenses/NOTICE.txt
5. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple

Re: Sample NOTICE file contents

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
+1.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I thought "developed by" was an error in an early project that got
> replicated into many others (rather than a change) but I could be
> wrong.

I have no idea of the origin of the issue as a search of the mailing lists didn’t bring up anything obvious I can find. Anyone know where this first occurred / reasons for the issue or if it was a wording change? I do know the older Apache 1.1 license did have that wording.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Sample NOTICE file contents

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 May 2016 at 07:29, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice the sample notice file here [1] (and linked to from several locations) but it no longer matches the HTTP project’s NOTICE file [2]. Any objections if I updated this to the current version?
>
> Also while we have a stock / boilerplate LICENSE file [3] we don’t have a stock / boilerplate NOTICE file anywhere I can find. (Closest is [5]) Any objections if I placed one here [4] with the following text?
>
> Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
> Copyright [XXXX-XXXX] The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>
> Having the text somewhere that can be got at via URL may be useful for checking or generating NOTICE files. And there's been least one change to the wording in the past in the above text i.e. “developed by” to “developed at".

I thought "developed by" was an error in an early project that got
replicated into many others (rather than a change) but I could be
wrong.
There was probably no canonical example at the time.