Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mark Weaver <ma...@npsl.co.uk> on 2001/10/15 13:40:05 UTC

asynchronous parsing with multiple URIs

This is going to sound a little off the wall :-)  I have a need to read (but
not necessarily parse) XML documents asynchronously that make references to
other documents via HTTP.  What I would ideally like is this:

- call parser on base document
- parser finds URI
- parsers stops, requesting that data for the URI be supplied, and then
continues when it is

Now this is maybe complicated by the fact that I need the thread that is
doing the parsing to be freed up after stopping (that is, the parser must
return control to the initial point it was called into).
I've had a dig around, and I haven't managed to see any way of doing this.
Is there some way that I have missed of doing a progressive parse, where the
parse is stopped by the entity reference?  This sounds like my best change.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I am using Xalan, which uses the SAX parser by default.  I can work
with any that support this method however.