Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2020/07/17 18:44:50 UTC

Dev model questions (Was Re: ASF Slack for community?)

On 7/17/20 2:37 PM, Armstrong Foundjem wrote:
> Hello ASF community members:
> I am a research student on FOSS, and currently, I am looking into the Apache ecosystem to understand the release mechanisms that ASF projects follow/use. However, it’s not trivial to understand without the help of expects like you in the community.
>
> Please, can you help me out answer the following questions?
>
> 1. What is the release cycle of Apache projects (how many times a year does ASF releases a new version of it’s products)?

Each project makes its own decisions on this.

> 2. What release model / release process do projects follow? Are these models/process very strict or are they flexible for different projects to do things they own way?

Each project makes its own decisions on this.

> 3. Are ASF projects inter-dependent to each other during development cycle of each project is completely unique in following it’s own road map?

Each project makes its own decisions on this. There are some projects
that are interdependent, but it's not widespread.

Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
@rbowen

Re: Dev model questions (Was Re: ASF Slack for community?)

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

On 7/17/2020 11:44 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On 7/17/20 2:37 PM, Armstrong Foundjem wrote:
>> Hello ASF community members:
>> I am a research student on FOSS, and currently, I am looking into the
>> Apache ecosystem to understand the release mechanisms that ASF
>> projects follow/use. However, it’s not trivial to understand without
>> the help of expects like you in the community.
>>
>> Please, can you help me out answer the following questions?
>>
>> 1. What is the release cycle of Apache projects (how many times a year
>> does ASF releases a new version of it’s products)?
>
> Each project makes its own decisions on this.

To expand a little on this, each project has a Project Management
Committee. The decisions you are asking about are made for each project
by its PMC.

The central organization is mainly concerned with providing some
infrastructure, a non-profit framework, and ensuring each project has a
healthy community with a functioning PMC to make its decisions.

If you want to understand ASF better, I suggest picking a few projects
that interest you and, for each PROJECT_NAME, subscribing to
dev@PROJECT_NAME.apache.org. There you will see the project in action.

https://www.avg.com