Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/14 03:15:16 UTC

[VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.2.1.

Compared to RC0, this release candidate also fixes the following issues:

   - [KAFKA-6789] - Add retry logic in AdminClient requests
   - [KAFKA-8348] - Document of kafkaStreams improvement
   - [KAFKA-7633] - Kafka Connect requires permission to create internal
   topics even if they exist
   - [KAFKA-8240] - Source.equals() can fail with NPE
   - [KAFKA-8335] - Log cleaner skips Transactional mark and batch record,
   causing unlimited growth of __consumer_offsets
   - [KAFKA-8352] - Connect System Tests are failing with 404

Release notes for the 2.2.1 release:
https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Thursday, May 16, 9:00 pm PT.

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.2 branch) is the 2.2.1 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.2.1-rc1

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/22/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.2 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.2-jdk8/115/

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gwen,

Thanks for reviewing the RC and also updating the KEYS file. I think that
step in the release process document is one of the post-approval to-dos; so
one fewer thing for me to do :)

I'll send the vote results shortly.

--Vahid

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gwen,

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the confusion.

We are still one binding +1 (by PMC) short (current binding votes are by
Harsha and Matthias).
I'll keep the vote thread open and send the result once we have that vote.

Thanks!
--Vahid

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the confusion.

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
+1 (non-binding) ... I used the binaries and run tests with different
clients. All seems to work fine.

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello, I have run the tests, all tests passed.
I have also run the quick start and test my apps with that
commit 55783d313, everything worked.

+1

Thanks a lot for the release, I have been waiting for a bug fix on this
release for long, yuju! :)

Cheers!
--
Jonathan

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ismael, and no worries.
I'll look forward to hearing some feedback next week.

--Vahid

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 12:41 AM Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay Vahid. I suspect votes are more likely next week,
> after the feature freeze.
>
> Ismael
>
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 9:45 PM Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Since there is no vote on this RC yet, I'll extend the deadline to Monday,
>> May 20, at 9:00 am.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for checking / testing / voting.
>>
>> --Vahid
>>

>> On Mon, May 13, 2019, 20:15 Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,
>> >
>> > This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.2.1.
>> >
>> > Compared to RC0, this release candidate also fixes the following issues:
>> >
>> >    - [KAFKA-6789] - Add retry logic in AdminClient requests
>> >    - [KAFKA-8348] - Document of kafkaStreams improvement
>> >    - [KAFKA-7633] - Kafka Connect requires permission to create internal
>> >    topics even if they exist
>> >    - [KAFKA-8240] - Source.equals() can fail with NPE
>> >    - [KAFKA-8335] - Log cleaner skips Transactional mark and batch
>> >    record, causing unlimited growth of __consumer_offsets
>> >    - [KAFKA-8352] - Connect System Tests are failing with 404
>> >
>> > Release notes for the 2.2.1 release:
>> > https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>> >
>> > *** Please download, test and vote by Thursday, May 16, 9:00 pm PT.
>> >
>> > Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
>> > https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS
>> >
>> > * Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
>> > https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/
>> >
>> > * Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
>> > https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/
>> >
>> > * Javadoc:
>> > https://home.apache.org/~vahid/kafka-2.2.1-rc1/javadoc/
>> >
>> > * Tag to be voted upon (off 2.2 branch) is the 2.2.1 tag:
>> > https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.2.1-rc1
>> >
>> > * Documentation:
>> > https://kafka.apache.org/22/documentation.html
>> >
>> > * Protocol:
>> > https://kafka.apache.org/22/protocol.html
>> >
>> > * Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.2 branch:
>> > Unit/integration tests:
>> https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.2-jdk8/115/
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > --Vahid

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAD5tkZbE-c6X2f4%2BKf%3DeX3WxVBJrXE%2BCqw9Z0%2BvufSZsOW1E%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAD5tkZbE-c6X2f4%2BKf%3DeX3WxVBJrXE%2BCqw9Z0%2BvufSZsOW1E%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Ran testAll/releaseTarGzAll successfully with no failures.
- Ran through quickstart of core/streams on builds generated from 2.2.1-rc1
tag
- Ran few internal apps targeting to topics on 3 node cluster.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 2.2.1 RC1

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.