Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/07/26 05:03:49 UTC

Something's rotten in the state of 1.3a2-dev..?

    I sent this earlier to-day, but it doesn't seem to have made it to
    the list - hence my last query about whether the list was working..

    #ken    :-/}
END
{just in case the message got caught by administrivia last time}
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:25:45 -0400
From: coar@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject: Something's rotten in the state of 1.3a2-dev

    Bad news, confreres..  I've just rebuilt from the latest stuff in
    HEAD, and two new problems seem to have been introduced:

     1. A SIGHUP is now giving me

          bind: Address already in use
    	  httpd: could not bind to port 9000

        I have NO Listen directives, and only one IP address for
    	the host in question.  All vhosts are name-based.  This is OSF/1
    	V3.2 on an Alpha, *not* Solaris.

     2. The server never responds.  A simple HEAD request nets me
        nothing; no "HTTP/1.1 200 OK", nothing.  It doesn't even respond
    	if I give it bogus HTTP.  The server's gone off into la-la land,
    	and I lack Dean's winning ways with performance tools to tell me
    	what it's doing.  It's not mod_rewrite because I've taken that
    	out; it's not mod_mime_magic because I never put it in.  I doubt
    	it's the 64-bit stuff even though this is an Alpha.  It's not
    	the mod_include changes, either, 'cuz that's commented out now,
    	too.  I strongly suspect the CGI-unbuffering stuff, since that
    	touched an awful lot of Deep Magic modules..

    Is the latest stuff in HEAD working for anyone else?  Dean, do you
    have any OSF tool invocations I can try?

    #ken    :-(}

Re: Something's rotten in the state of 1.3a2-dev..?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
www.arctic.org has been running HEAD as of all those changes I committed
including the cgi stuff and yadda yadda on wednesday.

I'll go see if I can reproduce it on my boxes.  If not I'll try under
OSF/1 sometime this weekend.

Dean

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Neither of these are happening for me under linux/x86.  Try a complete
rebuild, just in case you've got some cruft hanging around.  If still no
go I'll try OSF/1 tomorrow.

I ran the 64-bit patch on a linux/alpha box, but maybe I still messed it
up.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     I sent this earlier to-day, but it doesn't seem to have made it to
>     the list - hence my last query about whether the list was working..
>
>     #ken    :-/}
> END
> {just in case the message got caught by administrivia last time}
> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:25:45 -0400
> From: coar@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
> Subject: Something's rotten in the state of 1.3a2-dev
>
>     Bad news, confreres..  I've just rebuilt from the latest stuff in
>     HEAD, and two new problems seem to have been introduced:
>
>      1. A SIGHUP is now giving me
>
>           bind: Address already in use
>     	  httpd: could not bind to port 9000
>
>         I have NO Listen directives, and only one IP address for
>     	the host in question.  All vhosts are name-based.  This is OSF/1
>     	V3.2 on an Alpha, *not* Solaris.

What does NO_SLACK do?

>      2. The server never responds.  A simple HEAD request nets me
>         nothing; no "HTTP/1.1 200 OK", nothing.  It doesn't even respond
>     	if I give it bogus HTTP.  The server's gone off into la-la land,
>     	and I lack Dean's winning ways with performance tools to tell me
>     	what it's doing.  It's not mod_rewrite because I've taken that
>     	out; it's not mod_mime_magic because I never put it in.  I doubt
>     	it's the 64-bit stuff even though this is an Alpha.  It's not
>     	the mod_include changes, either, 'cuz that's commented out now,
>     	too.  I strongly suspect the CGI-unbuffering stuff, since that
>     	touched an awful lot of Deep Magic modules..

Are the child processes running?  Do a gdb on a child, or if you have
anything ktrace or truss-like use it.

Try checking out a tree from a week ago, then narrowing down exactly when
the problem started.

Re: Something's rotten in the state of 1.3a2-dev..?

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>      2. The server never responds.  A simple HEAD request nets me
>         nothing; no "HTTP/1.1 200 OK", nothing.  It doesn't even respond
>     	if I give it bogus HTTP.  The server's gone off into la-la land,
>     	and I lack Dean's winning ways with performance tools to tell me
>     	what it's doing.  It's not mod_rewrite because I've taken that
>     	out; it's not mod_mime_magic because I never put it in.  I doubt
>     	it's the 64-bit stuff even though this is an Alpha.  It's not
>     	the mod_include changes, either, 'cuz that's commented out now,
>     	too.  I strongly suspect the CGI-unbuffering stuff, since that
>     	touched an awful lot of Deep Magic modules..

If you compiled with -O, try compiling without. I had a problem on OSF 3.2
where a certifiably correct and exitable loop caused an infinite loop on
OSF when compiled with -O. It worked fine without -O or with -g. I.e.  was
an optimiser bug.

//pcs