Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@hometree.net> on 2001/09/02 20:11:16 UTC

Re: floating point types - Designer Issue

Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

>Maybe we should get rid of ">" in order to make things easier to understand.
>:-)

If you get rid of < <= == != => > you can get rid of conditionals, too.

Fine with me, we now start to get a template language, not a
programming language. If you can program Towers of Hanoi in it, it
qualifies for me as a programming language.

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: floating point types - Designer Issue

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.

>> 1) A template language with just enough programming language features
>> to not have to modify the Java code for every small change in the
>> template, and to be able to do things like loop through a list of
>> items, have a different display for 0 items versus N items, etc.
>
> You sissy!  Make a utility object and put it in the context!  (Sorry
> folks, couldn't resist)

And I agree, but...

> I will state my opinion again:  The ability to recognize non-decimal
> numbers does not threaten your business logic.

In the strictest sense of the concept, you are correct, however; practise
bears out that floating point math in the Context is

a) Elusively benefical, often leading to the exposure of business logic in
the view.
b) Unecessary to do real world programming with emphasis toward a clean
seperation of the MV&C

--
Nick Bauman
3600 N. Dupont

Re: floating point types - Designer Issue

Posted by Lloyd Llewellyn <su...@twilight-systems.com>.

Posted by Kyle Cordes <ky...@kylecordes.com>.
> >Maybe we should get rid of ">" in order to make things easier to
understand.
> >:-)
>
> If you get rid of < <= == != => > you can get rid of conditionals,
too.

> Fine with me, we now start to get a template language, not a
> programming language. If you can program Towers of Hanoi in it, it
> qualifies for me as a programming language.

I see a difference between:

1) A template language with just enough programming language features to
not have to modify the Java code for every small change in the template,
and to be able to do things like loop through a list of items, have a
different display for 0 items versus N items, etc.

2) A template language with enough language features that someone might
think that putting logic there is a good idea.

Somewhat oddly, I think a key attribute of a good template system is
that it's *painful* to try to do much logic in it.  I've seen what often
happens (JSP, ASP) when it's easy to do so.

[ Kyle Cordes * kyle@kylecordes.com * www.kylecordes.com  ]
[ Developer, Consultant, Trainer: Java, Delphi, ASTA, etc.]
[ Visit the site for articles, links, BDE Alternatives    ]
[ Guide, JBuilder Open Tools, and a Delphi Wiki, and more ]

Re: floating point types - Designer Issue

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 9/2/01 11:11 AM, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@hometree.net>
wrote:

> If you get rid of < <= == != => > you can get rid of conditionals, too.
>
> Fine with me, we now start to get a template language, not a
> programming language. If you can program Towers of Hanoi in it, it
> qualifies for me as a programming language.
>
> Regards
> Henning

I think I could write a Towers of Hanoi with just $variable references.

Should we also get rid of those as well?

:-)

I just love your minimalist ideas.

-jon