Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James G Smith <JG...@JameSmith.COM> on 2001/01/06 23:42:48 UTC

Re: perl calendar application

Blue Lang <bl...@gator.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 chicks@chicks.net wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Jim Serio wrote:
>> > Why not just write one to suite your needs? If you want one
>>
>> I'd really like to hack on a freeware version, but it'd be nice to start
>> with one that at least had some decent sheduling features so I could use
>
>Eh, I'm prepared to take my lynching, but I'd just like to remind everyone
>that there's nothing at all wrong with using PHP for things like this.
>You'll never be a worse person for learning something new, and the
>overheard required to manage a php+perl enabled apache is only minimally
>more than managing one or the other.
>
>IMHO, it's just lame to rewrite something for which there exists dozens of
>good apps just because of the language im which it is written. You might
>as well be arguing about GPL/BSD/Artistic at that point.

I have to agree.  At Texas A&M, we just went production with a
combination of TWIG (in php), custom php scripts to handle
directory service tasks (LDAP), php scripts creating a CGI
environment for some Perl scripts (Apache is 32- bit on Irix,
oracle is 64-bit...), and a smattering of tcl (mail store
management), sh (kerberos), and Perl (PH management) scripts to
help out when php couldn't quite do it.

My rule of thumb is to use whichever language makes the task
easiest.  Most languages can work together.
James Smith - jgsmith@jamesmith.com | http://www.jamesmith.com/
            jsmith@sourcegarden.org | http://sourcegarden.org/
              jgsmith@tamu.edu      | http://cis.tamu.edu/systems/opensystems/