Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com> on 2005/11/21 20:30:32 UTC

bean:define errors in eclipse 3.1.1 WTP

I try to edit my JSP in Eclipse 3.1.1 WTP (Web Tools Project) however I get
errors on variables defined by ID tags for example:

<snip>

<bean:define id="myValue1" type="String"/>
<bean:define id="myValue2" type="String"/>

<%=(myValue1 + "-" myValue2)%>

</snip>

The above snip of code will result in Eclipse telling me that "myValue1
cannot be resolved" and "myValue2 cannot be resolved".

However the page compiles fine and works fine in the web application.
Does anyone know how to avoid getting these error messages while still
getting other JSP errors?

It's a nice tool but I get tired of all the errors that aren't errors.  I
tried opening a bug on Eclipse WTP Bugzilla but they listed as fixed and it
is not as far as I could tell.  I tried emailing the person who fixed it but
they never responded.

Any help?

Shawn

Re: bean:define errors in eclipse 3.1.1 WTP

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/21/05, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:
> I try to edit my JSP in Eclipse 3.1.1 WTP (Web Tools Project) however I get
> errors on variables defined by ID tags for example:
>
> <snip>
>
> <bean:define id="myValue1" type="String"/>
> <bean:define id="myValue2" type="String"/>
>
> <%=(myValue1 + "-" myValue2)%>
>
> </snip>
>
> The above snip of code will result in Eclipse telling me that "myValue1
> cannot be resolved" and "myValue2 cannot be resolved".
>
> However the page compiles fine and works fine in the web application.
> Does anyone know how to avoid getting these error messages while still
> getting other JSP errors?
>
> It's a nice tool but I get tired of all the errors that aren't errors.  I
> tried opening a bug on Eclipse WTP Bugzilla but they listed as fixed and it
> is not as far as I could tell.  I tried emailing the person who fixed it but
> they never responded.

<snip/>

<OT>
I'd be interested in knowing how they fixed it, in case you ever find
out. This seems to be a tough one for tooling, unless it identifies
Struts taglibs individually and incorporates exceptions to the markup
validators hooked to the JSP editor.

Another thread running in parallel [1] clarifies the reason why this
may get tricky for the tooling stack.
</OT>

-Rahul

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=113256415823693&w=2