Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/25 14:47:01 UTC

JavaOne

Hi,

We can certainly continue any discussions from ApacheCon at JavaOne
and I have chatted with the folks at Terracotta and they would be
happy to put us up for a couple days in one of their conference rooms
where we can work and hold a BOF if we so choose. We can also have a
conference room for a 2-3 days in succession so we have a place to
continue discussions once things get started.

So again we might want to put up a calendar and let people slot in
their available times and I will schedule the rooms at TC. They are
not that far from Moscone centre and we can easily get there quickly
by cab, I can probably organize some transportation as well.

Thanks to the folks at Terracotta as it's generally hard to get
facilities setup where people can actually work. There's room for
10-15 people so folks should probably sign up soon, or let me know. I
know for sure that myself, Eric Redmond, Kenney Westerhof, Andy
Williams, John Casey, and Brett Porter will be present. If we select
a date for a BOF then I can definitely schedule that. It would be a
great opportunity for any users in the area to come out as it will
probably be the  highest concentration of core committers on record! :-)

Just ping me if you're interested in attending something so I can
make arrangements with Steve Harris at Terracotta.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: JavaOne

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
As for the current build planner, I was going to fix it for forked
executions from reports, until we started discussing the refactoring of the
plugin manager. As for the config/binding for plugins invoked by plugins,
IMO it would be part of the master plugin in some form. Admittedly, this
form of cascaded invocation might be less flexible than configuring each
individually in the POM (in a flat build structure), but maintaining maximum
flexibility may not be that important...particularly when you have a
narrowed subset of behavior that you need from the cascaded plugin
invocation.

I'm not saying that we should do this instead of plugin inheritance...at
times, inheritance definitely makes more sense. However, to me it would make
more sense to open this up as a possibility instead of expanding @execute
any further. This gives better control over "decorating" the forked
execution, and allows you to orchestrate more than a single forked
execution, which is sometimes very desirable.

-john

On 5/13/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13/05/2007, at 8:05 PM, John Casey wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see what people think about cleaning up the plugin
> > manager for
> > use as a separate API.
>
> +1 - we keep seeing the same concept popping up all over.
>
> Not sure if it's needed for the first alpha, or even 2.1 itself though.
>
> > 1. remove the site plugin from the maven lifecycle.
>
> I was getting the indication that making the plugin execution
> environment independent (Something on Jason's list, I think I forgot
> it earlier) would achieve this anyway - but I may be wrong.
>

> >  I was a little surprised to see the way report mojos are handled
> > in the
> > old lifecycle executor (now the build planner stuff, though
> > reporting is a
>
> Yep, total hack around the lack of capability in the plugin manager
> to deal with the use case.
>
> > little broken for reports that fork their own executions).
>
> So we have to do something then, regardless?
>
> > 2. create compound plugins.
> >
> >  In some cases (like the assembly or release plugins), mojos get to be
> > pretty complex and hard to manage. In many cases, these plugins
> > could reuse
> > the behavior of other existing plugins, if those plugins were
> > designed for
> > reuse. In cases where the plugins just need to replicate build-time
> > actions
> > of other plugins, it may make more sense to allow them to invoke
> > those mojos
> > or lifecycle phases directly. This goes beyond @execute, since
> > logic can be
> > introduced in between executions, and executions could become
> > conditional.
>
> I'm not sure getting a handle on the plugin manager is the right
> approach to this, but I'd need to look it in more detail. I'm not
> sure where the configuration / binding comes from in this instance.
>
> - Brett

John Casey
---
Maven Developer (http://maven.apache.org)
---
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

Re: JavaOne

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: JavaOne

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see what people think about cleaning up the plugin manager for
use as a separate API. The reason I think this is important is so we can
clean out the site plugin influence from the maven lifecycle, and so we can
make it easier to create compound plugins. I'll talk about each of these
below:

1. remove the site plugin from the maven lifecycle.

  I was a little surprised to see the way report mojos are handled in the
old lifecycle executor (now the build planner stuff, though reporting is a
little broken for reports that fork their own executions). The reports are
collected and made available for anything that @requiresReports...which is
literally just the site plugin, AFAIK. I think a much simpler answer here is
to have the site plugin *invoke* the reports it needs. We could do this via
@execute phase="reports" where the reports phase is in a separate
lifecycle...or, if we have a decent public API for invoking Maven plugins,
the site plugin could just invoke them directly.

2. create compound plugins.

  In some cases (like the assembly or release plugins), mojos get to be
pretty complex and hard to manage. In many cases, these plugins could reuse
the behavior of other existing plugins, if those plugins were designed for
reuse. In cases where the plugins just need to replicate build-time actions
of other plugins, it may make more sense to allow them to invoke those mojos
or lifecycle phases directly. This goes beyond @execute, since logic can be
introduced in between executions, and executions could become conditional.

The DefaultPluginManager is something like 1600 lines of code now, which
makes it a hot spot in the maven project, ripe for refactoring. In the
process of performing such a refactoring, we could make the plugin
invocation features a first-class citizen, capable of being reused outside
of Maven's core. We may not want to offer a similar user-friendly API for
resolving plugins, since it might be good to force plugins that invoke other
plugins to declare those plugins as dependencies, particularly since the
artifact-resolution API should address this part...but the plugin invocation
framework should be accessible, IMO.

What does anyone else think about this?

> [...]

> Carlos Sanchez, Kenney Westerhof, Andrew Williams, Jason van Zyl, and
> myself.
> - basic discussion of Maven 2.1 roadmap
> - we have a few wiki pages with content to bring together
> - had some Indian curries and kebabs (and felt the worse for it),
> drank some beer, went out to drink some more beer and have dinner.
>
> We discussed a couple of items:
> - focus for 2.1 should be on stability, predictability and
> reproducibility. Should aim to minimise the umber of roadmap items to
> get a release out since the list of possibilities is long.
> - already have lifecycle management, profile changes in place from John
> - tool chain support is under way, prerequisite for moving to Java 5
> - possible additions to dependency management such as a transitive
> 'compile only' scope, environment configuration templates, arbitrary
> properties, activation of profiles via dependencies for dependency
> groups, and applying sets of repositories to only some dependencies
> - discussed making the POM extensible, particularly in the dependency
> elements, plugin configuration.
> - dependency management and OSGi
> - ability to have alternate version schemes (or make ours a superset
> of those we intend to support)
>
> Some items for the roadmap:
> - add Java 5 support (possibly requiring Java 5 runtime)
> - add global exclusions to dependency management
> - make plugin dependency element consistent with normal dependency
> element
> - if group is omitted from the dependency element, assume it is that
> of the current pom for brevity
> - we need to make changes to the project builder so that we can read
> multiple models
> - Jason is preparing a new proposal for maven-artifact which will be
> sent to the list
> - reviewed what was needed integration testing wise, agreed it was as
> listed in SVN
>
> Did I get everything?
>
> We haven't yet split this into milestones or dates. I can start
> looking at the wiki content and bring it all back together again as I
> was already doing this for Continuum. We didn't really take a look at
> JIRA - I imagine this was up to date not that long ago and may just
> need a quick pass over.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> On 10/05/2007, at 3:51 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
> > How does Saturday sound for this?
> >
> > I may also have some availability tomorrow afternoon, but I might
> > not be able to get over there, so I Was thinking I could use that
> > time to try and get in sync with where everything is at so I come
> > prepared on Saturday.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brett
> >
> > On 25/04/2007, at 1:11 PM, Andrew Williams wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I am available just about any time, so I shan't put my free
> >> times on the calendar, it will just take up space :)

John Casey
---

Re: JavaOne

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Brian, I can't remember how well I documented it, but take a look in
components/trunk/maven-build-context. I'm already using that stuff in the
new lifecycle components, to store reports as they get executed...for use in
the site plugin.

It's far from an ideal solution, though. I'd much prefer to see something
like this baked into plexus, with context-import and context-export
component-lifecycle phases added, to make context another injected/extracted
part of the component instead of using the pull APIs that it uses now. At
this point, I'm hesitant to tell anyone to use the build context stuff in
plugins until we can settle that question.

-john

On 5/14/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 14 May 07, at 9:00 AM 14 May 07, Brian E. Fox wrote:
>

> >> Some items for the roadmap:
> >> - add Java 5 support (possibly requiring Java 5 runtime)
> >> - add global exclusions to dependency management
> >> - make plugin dependency element consistent with normal dependency
> >> element
> >> - if group is omitted from the dependency element, assume it is that
> >> of the current pom for brevity
> >> - we need to make changes to the project builder so that we can read
> >> multiple models
> >> - Jason is preparing a new proposal for maven-artifact which will be
> >> sent to the list
> >> - reviewed what was needed integration testing wise, agreed it was as
> >> listed in SVN
> >
> > It has been discussed before, but I think it's crucial to start
> > putting
> > a framework that allows plugins to communicate in 2.1. Many of the
> > features that would really help enterprise development and large
> > projects depend on it (think not repackaging if compile or resources
> > found nothing to do). This is a common complaint I hear internally
> > because our builds (even non-clean) take a disproportionate amount of
> > time.
> >

> I think John has actually documented this somewhere but the mechanism
> is definitely in place as we use it in the C plugins.
>
> Jason.

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven