Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2018/03/06 09:24:00 UTC

MP-JWT progress

Hi community,

So we now have something close in terms of MP-JWT implementation.

With the playground branch I've been working on (Thanks Romain for the
help), we now pass 100% of the TCK (including a missing part in MP-JWT TCK
I have eagerly added - see ticket on MP-JWT).

Now the question is how do we proceed?
Knowing that most of the code is not TomEE specific.

Only few things are in the TomcatSecurityService but that can remain in
TomEE because it's not really MP-JWT specific either.

Here is the PR for discussion
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123

Cheers
Jean-Louis

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.
for example
JAX-RS application class annotated with @LoginConfig. > only urls defined
in the @ApplicationPath should use the JWT Auth method.

Other endpoints, like servlet should use the 'default' method defined in
the web.xml.

AFAIK, there exist no integration point possible to do this, not even
JASPIC. So it needs to be solved by the 'internals' of the Application
server.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> So what's the conclusion here?
>
> Should I request a git repo on geronimo and extract all generic classes
> there along side with other implementations?

+1 from me

> Or do you guys prefer another tomee repo with the MP-JWT impl?
>
> I don't mind if they go here and there, just need to know so I can move on
> with the contribution.

we already have 3 days passed so tempted to say maybe wait tonight and just
move forward if you don't have more feedback
in any case it wouldn't be too late to fork back at tomee later if desired
(but hopefully we'll not self-fork ;))

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
I can do it tomorrow morning romain

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
:

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: What is this project?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 22, 2018, at 12:34 AM, Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe could you push it to the site in some place like "project history" ?
> It would be a shame to loose this opportunity to share it : memory is
> a sane way to make the future possible; please share if possible.

We could definitely do something like that.  Still so much left out of this.  Really hard to summarize 18 years.  Our hack-a-thon in Tours always comes up in strolls down memory lane.  We all took a week of vacation to get together and hack on TomEE.  We started the week at 40% TCK passing and ended 80% passing.

So many stories.

> Note: I love the "TomTom" temporary name: it would have given an
> excellent 'positioning' for the project...
>         But okay, copyright issues wouldn't allow it, to bad!

Terrible pun.  I love it.

-David

Re: What is this project?

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello David,

Thank you very much for sharing your history of what is now known as TomEE !

Maybe could you push it to the site in some place like "project history" ?
It would be a shame to loose this opportunity to share it : memory is
a sane way to make the future possible; please share if possible.

Note: I love the "TomTom" temporary name: it would have given an
excellent 'positioning' for the project...
         But okay, copyright issues wouldn't allow it, to bad!

Thanks,
Alexandre

Re: What is this project?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
This approach is fine and where I disagree - but as you said one of the
beauty of asf is to be allowed to "disagree" - and dislike it a lot is that
it is a tomee central vision instead of considering asf as the central
point.

To try to illustrate it I'll take a car example: you can optimise the
thermic part of an engine, you can optimize the mecanic part, you can
optimize the electronic part. You will get the very best of each and some
figures for the car (perf/price/autonomy/...). Now if you start thinking
car wide you will degrade the mecanic part a bit, degrade the electronic
etc...and gain like 30% on the overall perf and price cause you dont look
locally but globally. A global optimum is rarely also a local optimum (only
in 1 case actually). This is why mecatronic and thinking globally is more
efficient than specialties in general and why just speaking of tomee sounds
like not going very far to me.

Re: What is this project?

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.
yes very interesting.  i didn't realise there was so much history behind
it.  i came from tomcat so never knew about geronimo.  i heard the name
all over the place of course

What is this project?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Personally I'd prefer to do it directly as ut will be since there is no
technical challenge at all.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply. I've split that out into a separate thread so it
doesn't hijack this one and will just give people space to object /
discuss, and then I'll move that over.

Jon

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
We used to have the concept of a sandbox which allowed folks to play with
different ideas https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomee/sandbox/. I it did a

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> I don't see TomEE as the center of the world, but somewhere where people
> should be free to work without constantly being told it's not OK to do so.

you describe ASF here ;)

However it is also important to not shout in our own foot and this is what
I try to do ensure we do having a single umbrella project. Goal is not to
prevent TomEE
to be "free" but really to make its community stronger and consistent
accross ASF and users.

A random example is: if we end up having geronimo-jwt-auth and
tomee-jwt-auth then what end users will use? How will tomee be perceived in
ASF ecosystem?
We always managed to have a strong and consistent ecosystem and it is what
I'm trying to promote with my warning on creating a jwt-auth @tomee which
would
split the efforts.

If the issue is the committership then this is something quickly fixes with
the contributions at asf so this must not be a blocker for the choice today.
People at tomee are great and a lot are worth having G committership once
passed the entering bar which is valuable contributions as on any asf
project. No
reason it doesn't happen.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
@Anydy and @David

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> I think that if anyone feels like contributing to TomEE then we should
> allow and encourage that as soon as possible. The politics of where things
> should 'eventually' reside is a huge distraction and just serves to block
> any progress at the moment - The enthusiasm dies quickly after a week of
> back and forth. The first choice for anything should be TomEE, as that is
> the community we serve. The first response should be thank you, and we
> should accept the help offered. Then those that want to worry about
> extraction and reuse should feel free to go ahead and do that if they feel
> strongly enough about it. It should not be the priority for TomEE.

Well, this has been discussed N times and TomEE always has been the second
choice. I am particularly unhappy it keeps coming back until it is TomEE
which will just kill TomEE as a project IMHO and it kills the effort as
well.

> The goal should be to get TomEE on the MP board as soon as possible. If
> that initially means TomEE 8, Java 8, and accepting a few PRs then we
> should press ahead with that now. Anything that might need back-porting can
> be addressed later.

This is actually what is done and as showed with MP-Config it works very
well this way:
1. impl @G
2. integration @T (keep in mind tomee is an integration project and not an
impl project otherwise we need to absorb cxf, activemp, openjpa,
openwebbeans, batchee, johnzon, ...)

This allows to use the projects in any CDI based application without having
the drawback of being tomee dependent which is not required by any MP spec.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Jwt-auth impl doesnt depend on tomee and is reusable so must not be put in
tomee codebase.

Hope it is clearer this time.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> In case that wasn't clear, gentle objection to moving this now.
>
> If we can get this merged and at least a snapshot out, that'd be preferred.

I'm not following the rational here. Let me try to summarize another time
for you to ensure we speak of the same thing:

1. code will be at geronimo - whatever happens at tomee
2. code we worked on with JL has no tomee dependency (see 4 to be complete
here)
3. as the MP-Config work Roberto did, we'll need a TCK module (next to the
Roberto's one) for jwt-auth spec + a modification of the MP distro
4. TomEE had some propagation bug we need to fix - MP or not since it
happens with a plain servlet

So the JWT-Auth PR for TomEE can be:

A. this one which means TomEE will have an implementation of JWT-Auth and
Geronimo another one
B. the JWT-Auth code moves to Geronimo and TomEE merges from this PR 3 and 4

Just to restate it since it seems we restart from a blank page ;): I'm -1
on A to avoid to split our effort and noise as ASF and +1 for B.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@JL: ok I let you do

@David: hmm, not sure which part I missed but there is nothing to merge
except the TCK part which requires to extract it from the PR. This is what
JL will do tmr so we can merge it after.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: MP-JWT progress

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@JL: ok I let you do