Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Michał Walawender <mw...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/02 14:05:38 UTC

Using Pdfbox in android app.

Hello!
I am Android developer, and i would ask You question about Pdfbox usage in
app, which I am currently developing. I have chcecked license, but still I
am not sure, if I can use Pdfbox in my app with ads in?
It is just app which will be placed in Google Play, and i want to monetize
it with ads inside. Can You explain me, if I can use Pdfbox, based on
current license, and do I have to place any disclaimers or something?
Thank You for help,
Sincerely, Michael.

Re: Using Pdfbox in android app.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
PDFBox for Android is not an Apache product. It is a port of an Apache
product.

See also
http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html
https://www.whitesourcesoftware.com/whitesource-blog/top-10-apache-license-questions-answered/
https://tldrlegal.com/license/apache-license-2.0-%28apache-2.0%29

Tilman

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Please don't hijack old threads. If you answer to this, start a new one,
with a new title. (The answer is: have a look at the
PrintTextLocations.java example in the source code download)

Tilman

Posted by Tamil A Selvi <ta...@farmersinsurance.com>.

On 3/2/18 9:05 AM, Michał Walawender wrote:
> I am Android developer, and i would ask You question about Pdfbox
> usage in app, which I am currently developing. I have chcecked
> license, but still I am not sure, if I can use Pdfbox in my app with ads in?

AL2 is a fairly liberal license. I don't see why you couldn't use PDFBox in an app that contains ads.

> It is just app which will be placed in Google Play, and i want to
> monetize it with ads inside. Can You explain me, if I can use Pdfbox,
> based on current license, and do I have to place any disclaimers or something?

No disclaimers are necessary, since your app is not a "derivative work".
Attribution is not strictly necessary, but would be greatly appreciated by the project.

IANAL, YMMV, etc.

I'm curious... why would an Android app need to produce PDF files?

-chris

*****  PLEASE NOTE *****  This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential information and is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any accompanying documents.  Thank you.*****

Re: Using Pdfbox in android app.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Michał,