Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2005/09/27 14:34:17 UTC

alignment-baseline property

Finn, (and others of course)

what to you make out of the following?

In 7.13.2 alignment-baseline is defined as having the values:
auto | baseline | before-edge | text-before-edge | middle | central |
after-edge | text-after-edge | ideographic | alphabetic | hanging |
mathematical | inherit

But further below in the text where it says "Values have the following
meanings:" we have at the end explanations for the values:
top, bottom, text-top, and text-bottom, which according to the
definition above are not valid values for this property.

Manuel

Re: alignment-baseline property

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 02:03 am, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2005, at 19:58, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> > On Sep 27, 2005, at 14:34, Manuel Mall wrote:
> >> what to you make out of the following?
> >>
> >> In 7.13.2 alignment-baseline is defined as having the values:
> >> auto | baseline | before-edge | text-before-edge | middle |
> >> central | after-edge | text-after-edge | ideographic | alphabetic
>
> Just thought I'd add:
> 7.13.1 alignment-adjust --same thing there

Yes, you are correct.

So may be it was done deliberately - but I still don't understand. As
you said its not corrected in the 1.1 draft nor is it in the 1.0
errata.

And surely other implementers would have picked up on that long before
me and alerted the XSL-FO WG?

What am I not getting here?

> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Cheers

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Sep 27, 2005, at 14:34, Manuel Mall wrote:

Hi Manuel,

> what to you make out of the following?
>
> In 7.13.2 alignment-baseline is defined as having the values:
> auto | baseline | before-edge | text-before-edge | middle | central |
> after-edge | text-after-edge | ideographic | alphabetic | hanging |
> mathematical | inherit
>
> But further below in the text where it says "Values have the following
> meanings:" we have at the end explanations for the values:
> top, bottom, text-top, and text-bottom, which according to the
> definition above are not valid values for this property.

IIC, the definition-list should be expanded to include these latter
four. Well, it could easily be.
Their meaning seems to be related to 'before-edge', 'after-edge',
'text-before-edge' and 'text-after-edge', only that the ones currently
not included in the list are only valid for horizontal writing modes
(lr-tb and rl-tb). In vertical writing-mode they fall back to the
dominant-baseline, as there, 'before' is 'right' and 'after' is 'left'
--and 'top' and 'bottom' are 'end' and 'start'. If you catch the
drift... ;-)

Not 100% sure, but this seems to be the most plausible... BTW: XSL 1.1
also misses these in the definition --Feel like submitting the question
to the XSL-FO WG? :-)

Cheers,

Andreas