Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Anton Rusanov <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/08 10:07:10 UTC

[tools] where is javac executable file?

I saw that javac is ready now at
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/roadmap.html#General but I cannot
find the javac.exe it in deploy/jdk/jre/bin.
I have also been referred to the thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/<44...@gmail.com>
where Tim said how to make an executable of javac. Since that time we
have tools.jar being built in common build. But this seems strange for
me, that while the functionality of the tool is ready, everyone who
wants to use it has to copy tools.jar from one place to another and to
make the executable oneself.

Or maybe there is already a mechanism to build executables using a
special target?
If not, how do you think what should be better - build all tools'
executables together or to add an individual target for each tool?
Should the executables generation be added to the common build or it
is better to be done optionally?

What does the community think about this?

Anton

Re: [tools] where is javac executable file?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Anton Rusanov wrote:
>
>> Or maybe there is already a mechanism to build executables using a
>> special target?
>> If not, how do you think what should be better - build all tools'
>> executables together or to add an individual target for each tool?
>> Should the executables generation be added to the common build or it
>> is better to be done optionally?
>
> I suggest that all the tools are built together.  The launcher is
> written to run different Java tools by copying the executable into the
> jdk/bin under different names.

Agreed.  I had been toying with this when looking at snapshot issues.

I think we need one program that exec()s itself into ../jre/bin/$NAME,
which hopefully is just the tweaked launcher we have now and use that to
fill in jdk/bin.  Maybe that can be the launcher too, but I think the
launcher has achieved optimum complexity for what it's supposed to do :)

geir

Re: [tools] where is javac executable file?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Anton Rusanov wrote:
> I saw that javac is ready now at
> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/roadmap.html#General but I cannot
> find the javac.exe it in deploy/jdk/jre/bin.

There is a minor piece of work left in the launcher to support the tools
being run from jdk/bin, namely to pick up the right tools.jar and
supporting jars locations, and load the VM from jre/bin/*.

This was left as low-hanging fruit for somebody with C programming
skills who wants to get involved in Harmony, but if there are no takers...

> I have also been referred to the thread
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/<44...@gmail.com>
>
> where Tim said how to make an executable of javac.

That is the current state, with the steps to show it works before the
final fixes.

> Since that time we
> have tools.jar being built in common build. But this seems strange for
> me, that while the functionality of the tool is ready, everyone who
> wants to use it has to copy tools.jar from one place to another and to
> make the executable oneself.

It won't stay that way.

> Or maybe there is already a mechanism to build executables using a
> special target?
> If not, how do you think what should be better - build all tools'
> executables together or to add an individual target for each tool?
> Should the executables generation be added to the common build or it
> is better to be done optionally?

I suggest that all the tools are built together.  The launcher is
written to run different Java tools by copying the executable into the
jdk/bin under different names.

Regards
Tim

--