Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Hvass <pe...@jamesinnes.com> on 2016/07/05 13:07:02 UTC

Deploying webapp on busy public server failing hard

Hello all,

The solution is kind of obvious here though I just wanted to feel around
for any alternatives.

I'm deploying a small web application to a Tomcat 8 server handled by
Amazon Web Service's Elastic Beanstalk service - load balancers etc. etc.

This is quite a busy site - so we'll typically see around 100 concurrent
users.

When I deploy a new version of the web app, the 'first load' is very heavy
- mostly due to LESS compilation (tapestry-webresources, wro4j). When 100
concurrent users hit for that 'first load' the server immediately falls
over in a 100% CPU death spiral.

My workaround thus far has been to deploy the new version to a secondary
server, access it for the first load myself and then throw it to the
hordes. This is annoying and time-consuming.

Ideally it would be great if LESS compilation could occur as part of
building the WAR file rather than live on the server. We never make changes
to files inside the WAR file directly. Has anyone been able to achieve this?

Kind regards,
Peter

Re: Deploying webapp on busy public server failing hard

Posted by Ilya Obshadko <il...@gmail.com>.
My own solution was rotation of two DigitalOcean instances using floating
IP (you can do the same with AWS, Docker, etc.) whenever I do a deployment.
My project doesn't have heavy traffic (in that case, I'd consider some
LB-oriented solution, like HAProxy).

Everything, including startup and warm-up, can be easily automated using
deployment tools of your choice (for example, I'm using rake).

--
Ilya Obshadko

Re: Deploying webapp on busy public server failing hard

Posted by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com>.
## Page Preloading

It is now possible to pre-load pages at system startup time by making
contributions
to the new PagePreloader service. Pages can be pre-loaded only in
development, only in production,
never, or always.

Quote from 5.4 release notes,Not sure if it will generate the js files at
the same time with pre loading.The other option is to do it the same way
tapestry core does it.i.e on development work with less files and on
production convert the less files to js before deployment (Through maven
plugin)

Posted by Charlouze <me...@charlouze.com>.
Hey,

Posted by Cezary Biernacki <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,
The simplest option is a create an empty page that just includes all
important CSS-es and JavaScripts and configure that page as a health check
URL in load balancer.

E.g.
Warmup.java:

@Import(stack = {"core"}, stylesheet = {"my.less"})
public class Warmup {
}

Warmup.tml

And /warmup defined in health-check. Because Amazon's load balancers first
need to hit health check URL at least a couple times before exposing an
instance, you can be sure that files are compiled/initialised before users
get access to your application. There are probably more clever ways to
solve your problem, but this one is quite easy.

Cezary

Posted by Peter Hvass <pe...@jamesinnes.com>.
An update on this - wro4j maven plugin is most certainly not the way to go
for any kind of a complex project.

It is highly restrictive when matching source files to be processed and
selecting destinations for the processed files.

You will only be happy with this solution if:

   - your stylesheet philosophy involves either;
   - having a monolithic single stylesheet
      - constantly maintaining your wro.xml to add new stylesheets as you go
   - and you're okay with the processed files being dumped into a single
   directory.
   - and you're also okay adding kludge to redirect all stylesheet import
   paths when in production mode toward this single directory.

I'm not happy with this as a solution - having looked into all the
available options I come back to thinking that Tapestry should either
support this or we need to add this functionality in ourselves as users.

That or wro4j needs some serious contributions - from what I understand the
reason destination folders are so restrictive is because wro4j's code for
wildcards in paths used for recursive file matching is deemed fragile.
There was an issue request to this effect and it was resolved by
side-stepping the problem and hard-coding rather than resolving it.

So my next step is likely to rewrite and/or override a portion of wro4j to
do this the way Tapestry does in development - just replacing all less
files with css at the same location.

Or writing my own plugin to achieve this;

   - traverse the directory structure
   - process all less files
   - store css files in their stead (i.e.: META-INF/assets/Some.less
   compiled to META-INF/assets/Some.less)

Thanks,
a very frustrated Peter

Posted by Peter Hvass <pe...@jamesinnes.com>.