Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Liang, Yin" <YL...@lehman.com> on 2000/05/09 17:18:17 UTC

JSP with Cocoon ?

Hi,

Does any one implement JSP with Cocoon ?

We use Weblogic JSP for presentation, and Enterprise Java Bean for "heavy"
business objects
We  would like to start using xslt to convert xml data into html on the
sever side.
Can cocoon (XSP?) api somehow fit into the JSP->JSPBean->EJB framework ?
or
we have to use the xalan package directly ?

Thanks for any advice !

Yin Liang
yliang at lehman dot com

Re: JSP with Cocoon ?

Posted by Ricardo Rocha <ri...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 09 May 2000, Liang, Yin wrote:
> Does any one implement JSP with Cocoon ?
> We use Weblogic JSP for presentation, and Enterprise Java Bean for "heavy"
> business objects
> We  would like to start using xslt to convert xml data into html on the
> sever side.
> Can cocoon (XSP?) api somehow fit into the JSP->JSPBean->EJB framework ?
> or we have to use the xalan package directly ?

The dynamic generator design being considered for XSP in Cocoon2
might allow for other markup languages to be plugged into Cocoon. It's
possible, in principle, to implement a dynamic generator loader that
supports a subset of JSP's XML-friendly syntax.

An appealing possibility that comes to mind is to somehow intercept
JSP's response output stream and pipe it into a SAX event stream: a
dynamic generator that "wraps" JSP pages. Of course, this relies on
the assumption that JSP pages generate only well-formed XML.

However, even assuming that issues such as efficiently and portably
executing JSP pages or transparently "faking" the output stream, this
idea poses _many_ challenges. For example: how to detect and react to
a JSP page performing a response.sendRedirect()?

Hmmm... This deserves a lot of thinking.

Re: JSP with Cocoon ?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Liang, Yin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does any one implement JSP with Cocoon ?

No

> We use Weblogic JSP for presentation, and Enterprise Java Bean for "heavy"
> business objects
> We  would like to start using xslt to convert xml data into html on the
> sever side.
> Can cocoon (XSP?) api somehow fit into the JSP->JSPBean->EJB framework ?
> or
> we have to use the xalan package directly ?

The Servlet API does not allow a servlet to call a JSP page.

I'm part of the Servlet Expert Group at Sun and we are designing a
solution for this problem, which currently cannot have a portable
solution.

So, if you need something quick, you have the use Xalan directly.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.