Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2001/09/06 06:00:07 UTC

W3C tidy

I started doing a few docs with tidy to see how it went, and discovered
that it is disobeying at least one of the edicts regarding HTML in the
docs. Specifically, it is doing:

      <li><a href=
      "core.html#limitrequestfieldsize">LimitRequestFieldsize</a></li>

Rather than

<li><a href="core.html#limitrequestfieldsize"
>LimitRequestFieldsize</a></li>

Is this actually a big deal? Is there a rationale for this that goes
beyond someone's personal preference?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://www.rcbowen.com/kenya/

RE: W3C tidy

Posted by Shalini G <g....@bplmail.com>.
achieve

Re: W3C tidy

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > On a related note, tidy has an -asxml switch that produces ...

> >     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> >
> > Is *this* something that is desirable? Isn't this the eventual goal?
> >

> It also does a few extra things like changing unclosed tags
> to look like <br />.
>
> I'm +1 on xhtml.

I've committed a few of these. Let me know if you like them, and I'll
just sic it on the whole doc tree.

--
And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -

Re: W3C tidy

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On a related note, tidy has an -asxml switch that produces ...

>     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>
> Is *this* something that is desirable? Isn't this the eventual goal?

It also does a few extra things like changing unclosed tags
to look like <br />.

I'm +1 on xhtml.

Joshua.

Re: W3C tidy

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I started doing a few docs with tidy to see how it went, and discovered
> that it is disobeying at least one of the edicts regarding HTML in the
> docs. Specifically, it is doing:
>
>       <li><a href=
>       "core.html#limitrequestfieldsize">LimitRequestFieldsize</a></li>
>
> Rather than
>
> <li><a href="core.html#limitrequestfieldsize"
> >LimitRequestFieldsize</a></li>
>
> Is this actually a big deal? Is there a rationale for this that goes
> beyond someone's personal preference?

On a related note, tidy has an -asxml switch that produces ...

Is *this* something that is desirable? Isn't this the eventual goal?

I tested a few docs, and they converted right over without complaining.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://geeks.cre8tivegroup.com/  --- Work