Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2007/01/24 15:00:22 UTC

EJB 3 integration status

Ok, so Dain and I have worked all through the night again to try and
kill the last issues we've seen with the integration.  We added a few
more tests and such the itests and have hammered away till things
worked.  We had to do some ad-hoc surgery in the naming code and more
that will have to be merged back to the M2 branch, but the result is
a lot more is working.

These have all been tested as working as of this morning:

  - ejb-jar.xml free deploy (this had issues actually and did not
work as previously reported)
  - openejb-jar free deploy
  - Deployment of annotated beans (@Stateful and @Stateless)
  - Business interfaces both local and remote
  - Legacy component (i.e. home) interfaces on a Pojo session bean
  - xml-based *and* annotation-based injection for ejbs, except for
message-destinations, or SessionContext when the field or setter is
not named setSessionContext
  - references to business interfaces, local or remote, from a
servlet or an ejb
  - references to home interfaces, local or remote, from a servlet or
an ejb

The following components are tested in the itests:
  - Stateful session beans
  - Stateless session beans
  - BMP Entity beans
  - CMP1 Entity beans (basic tests)
  - CMP2 Entity beans (basic tests)

The following components are *not* tested in the itests:
  - Message-Driven Beans

Dain may have a better idea of which CMP2 features are lacking.  I'll
let him go into detail about that.

The issue with injection of SessionContext I hope to clear up in the
morning.  We also still really hope to at least put in a hole in the
ejb module builder that would allow people to install an v2 openejb-
jar.xml to geronimo-openejb.xml converter. (cross your fingers).

-David

Re: EJB 3 integration status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 2:09 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Tomorrow, I'm going to try to remove the requirement to have a
>> geronimo-openejb.xml file.
>
> Funny, just tried it out and a geronimo-openejb.xml free deployment
> worked perfectly.  The code has been in there for weeks :)

<in a very concerned voice>
Dain, how many weeks has it been since last wednesday?

/me thinks dain needs more sleep :)

-David

Re: EJB 3 integration status

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Tomorrow, I'm going to try to remove the requirement to have a
> geronimo-openejb.xml file.

Funny, just tried it out and a geronimo-openejb.xml free deployment
worked perfectly.  The code has been in there for weeks :)

-dain

Re: EJB 3 integration status

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
I hacked in support for @EJB in servlets in web modules, and tested
it with the calculator sample.  It seems to work, but I only had one
ref to test, so let me know if you have any problems.

On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:00 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> Dain may have a better idea of which CMP2 features are lacking.
> I'll let him go into detail about that.

Tested:
   cmp-fileds
   one-to-one bi-directional cmr
   one-to-many bi-directional cmr
   many-to-one bi-directional cmr
   finders

Should work:
   many-to-many cmr
   uni-directional cmr
   primary-key mapped to foreign-key

Won't work:
   ejb select
   compound pk
   unknown pk

Not Implemented
   generation of entity-mappings.xml

One big annoying thing is you need an ejb-context-ref in each cmp
bean that points to the jpa context and the ref name must be openejb/
cmp.  For example,

   <persistence-context-ref>
     <persistence-context-ref-name>openejb/cmp</persistence-context-
ref-name>
     <persistence-unit-name>cmp</persistence-unit-name>
   </persistence-context-ref>

You can use the full power of JPA for your mappings as long as it
matches the cmp bean class.

That's it.

-dain

Re: EJB 3 integration status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:00 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> We had to do some ad-hoc surgery in the naming code and more that
> will have to be merged back to the M2 branch, but the result is a
> lot more is working.

Just going to repost this then go to bed (promise :).

Cc'ing Matt as he signed up to do merges, but I'm sure if someone
beats him to it he won't mind. :)

-David

Re: EJB 3 integration status

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
FYI all openejb3 snapshots are current as of "now", i.e.
20070124.144710, revision 499423.

-David