Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by ChristopherJ <ch...@webmail.co.za> on 2008/12/31 08:28:50 UTC

Ldap.authentication.patch ofbiz 4.0 branches release

Hi

I have recently started looking at the Apache Ofbiz Development Guide :
Beginner´s Tutorial,
and reverted to the stable release 4.0 as referenced in the book. This is a
major step
back from the trunk version, yet for production it seems to be a lot more
stable. (Is this true?) Now comparing the trunk with the branch version I
have discovered that the trunk has Ldap
compatibility and the branch has none.

I have found the following patch
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-811)
but when I try to apply it I get the following error.

[root@itux ofbiz4.0]# patch -p0 < ldap_authentication.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file
framework/common/src/org/ofbiz/common/login/LdapAuthenticationServices.java
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file framework/common/src/org/ofbiz/common/login/LoginServices.java
Hunk #1 FAILED at 64.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
framework/common/src/org/ofbiz/common/login/LoginServices.java.rej
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file framework/security/config/jndiLdap.properties
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file framework/security/config/security.properties
Hunk #1 FAILED at 60.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 76.
framework/security/config/security.properties.rej
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file framework/security/entitydef/entitygroup.xml
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file framework/security/entitydef/entitymodel.xml

Can anybody advise which is the best option to use: Ofbiz release 4.0 or a
(specific or XX count back) trunk version for production. (This being as I
have notes on configuring a trunk version to be more production orientated,
rather than development related)

Alternatively, where am I going wrong with the patch and why is the stable
release so far behind the trunk....

Thanks!

Re: Ldap.authentication.patch ofbiz 4.0 branches release

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Dec 31, 2008, at 2:22 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I have recently started looking at the Apache Ofbiz Development
>> Guide :
>> Beginner´s Tutorial,
>> and reverted to the stable release 4.0 as referenced in the book.
>> This is a
>> major step
>> back from the trunk version, yet for production it seems to be a
>> lot more
>> stable. (Is this true?)
>
> Yes it is, especially nowadays : we have commited massive changes to
> the trunk these last days

Actually, it may be true right in this instant due to some untested
commits, but the I'd say in general the trunk has less issues than the
release branch because there are more people working with it, and bugs
get fixed a lot faster. The trunk is certainly not more stable though,
as stable means unchanging and that is more true of the branch than
the trunk, but there are fairly serious issues that have been fixed in
the trunk that may never make it back to the release branch because
they have too many touch points and no one wants to do it.

Many of those who use the release branch don't even contribute bug
fixes back, so even though there are people using it sometimes it
takes a while for fixes to get in... and there seem to be issues even
though it has been out for nearly 2 years.

In short, I'd say if you're going to do custom development then my
recommendation is, and always has been, to start with the trunk. If
you go with the release branch your experience will be considerably
more painful, and you won't have many opportunities to collaborate
with others in the community.

A summary of the choices is available here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Getting+Started

Keep in mind that there are many people in the community who simply
don't understand this because they haven't been involved long enough
or haven't run across relevant experience or dealt with end-users on a
long-term basis. That is where the difference really shows up.

-David

Re: Ldap.authentication.patch ofbiz 4.0 branches release

Posted by ChristopherJ <ch...@webmail.co.za>.
Thanks for the reply

I will have to read through all the ldap notes and see what I can do with
it,
otherwise bring it in later with the next major release.

Thanks for the interesting points made gave me something to think about!

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@yahoo.com>

I was speaking about the 1,5 years gap between trunk and release...

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.