Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by st...@advansol.com on 2004/03/17 19:53:43 UTC

Source code I would like to submit.

Hello,

  I have some source code that I would like to release as open source,
whether it's part of this project or another.  Maybe y'all can tell me
if this is the right place.

  The code I have is a number of classes designed to make the use of XML
as easy as using a properties file.  Matter of fact on of the classes is
a subclass of Properties and lets the programmer load and save XML plus
manipulate it as if it were a properties file (using a custom or basic
XPath path notation for the String key).  Other pieces of the code are a
BTree class designed to store the parsed SAX data (I know they're
already around, but I wrote it back in '97 before there were any good
ones).  There is also a SAXDocument class and related interfaces that
abstract out the SAXTree I wrote and allow for full manipulation of the
underlying data structure.

  That said, this the right place?

RE: Source code I would like to submit.

Posted by Steve Posick <st...@advansol.com>.
Thank you David!

Not only can I express the idea, but I have the source code for people to
dissect as well.  I'll post a message to the general list and see what
happens.  I already use the code as a component in my utility library, it
only has 2 dependencies, a SAX2 parser and Jaxen for SAXPath.

Steven Posick, CISSP
CEO / Systems Architect
Advansol LLC
http://www.advansol.com/
Phone: (203) 257-0037
>   I have some source code that I would like to release as open source,
> whether it's part of this project or another.  Maybe y'all can tell me
> if this is the right place.
>
>   The code I have is a number of classes designed to make the use of XML
> as easy as using a properties file.  Matter of fact on of the classes is
> a subclass of Properties and lets the programmer load and save XML plus
> manipulate it as if it were a properties file (using a custom or basic
> XPath path notation for the String key).  Other pieces of the code are a
> BTree class designed to store the parsed SAX data (I know they're
> already around, but I wrote it back in '97 before there were any good
> ones).  There is also a SAXDocument class and related interfaces that
> abstract out the SAXTree I wrote and allow for full manipulation of the
> underlying data structure.
>
>   That said, this the right place?

It sounds like it. In that way they can be easily used in other
projects, both Apache and abroad.

The best approach would be for you to move this discussion to
the broader mailing list general@xml.a.o where we can more easily
see if it duplicates or enhances existing projects/tools.

Would you be able to describe your ideas in a little more detail
and perhaps explain some examples of use. These words could later
form the core of the documentation.

Do you see these utilities as together forming one "component"
or can they potentially live separately.

By the way, i would suggest that you use a better Subject line
for the email. This technique attracts attention on these busy
lists, and makes it much easier to find and refer to topics at
a later date.

--David

Re: Source code I would like to submit.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.