Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Shane Beasley <sb...@acm.org> on 2006/09/27 01:16:56 UTC

multiple sessions overwriting each others' data

I have a weird problem with a weird web application using Tomcat 5.0,
Turbine 2.3.2, and Torque 3.2.

One of my design constraints is that a user must have the ability to
start multiple sessions using the same credentials (e.g. using different
browsers or on different PCs).

Scenario: User creates two sessions -- X and Y. User makes changes under
session X, leaving session Y to time out. When this happens, Turbine
saves the TurbineUser from session Y, overwriting the changes made under
session X.

For now, I've made TurbineUser.setModified(true) a no-op. Instead, I
call a method that does { this.setModified(true); this.save(); }
wherever I would normally save the TurbineUser object.

You're probably thinking that this is a dirty hack, as well as a
potential maintenance nightmare. You're probably right. :)

It seems like the two obvious options are to refactor TurbineUser to not
have anything interesting in it, or to replace TorqueUserManager with
something that behaves more to my liking. I may end up doing one of
these, but they're both fairly big changes.

Has anyone else run into this? Or, in any case, what would you recommend?

Shane