Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu> on 2012/11/14 23:12:17 UTC

Throttling VM startups within VCL?

Hi List.

I'd like to introduce (or increase, if it's already there) a delay
between VM startups during block allocations and image reloads.  Can
someone point me to the right spot in the code to look for that logic?

We're still on 2.2.1.

Thanks,
--Michael

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu
University of Chicago IT Services

Re: Throttling VM startups within VCL?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Michael,

Yes, that's much clearer.

For block allocations, the start times are staggered by 1 minute.  You can
increase that in XMLRPCprocessBlockTime in xmlrpcWrappers.php.  Change the
"60" in

$stagExtra = $reqToAlloc * 60;

to whatever you want.  The units for "60" are seconds.

Reloading via the Computer Utilities part of the site has no staggering.  You
could add staggering in submitReloadComputers in computers.php by adding a
"$stagstart" variable to the 2nd foreach loop that gets incremented by some
amount during each iteration of the loop.  Then, pass that variable instead of
$startstamp when calling simpleAddRequest.

Staggering normal reservations that happen to be concurrent would require a
fair amount more logic, but you'd be modifying isAvailable and addRequest in
utils.php.

Josh

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:08:58 PM Michael Jinks wrote:
> Yeah, sorry that was unclear.
>
> There are two workflows that can cause a batch of VM reloads: block
> allocations, and the interface under Manage -> Computers -> Computer
> Utilities.  I get the sense that whenever VCL deploys VM's, it has some
> kind of logic to keep from firing them up all at once, but I don't know
> what that logic looks like or if it's the same logic in all situations
> (e.g. block allocations, reloads through the admin UI, or several users
> coincidentally reserving VM's at the same time).
>
> We're having boot storm issues, and we're trying to address them in a
> number of ways (improving our storage performance, adjusting our VM
> images to be less thrashy on boot, looking into deploying 2.3, etc.) but
> as a short-term improvement of the problem I'd like to try spreading out
> VM start intervals, and I thought it would save me some detective work if
> I asked here how that's controlled in the stock code.
>
> Does that make more sense?
>
> Thanks,
> -m
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:14:37PM -0500, Josh Thompson wrote:
- --
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University