Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> on 2004/05/22 01:25:09 UTC

Curiosity on copying working copies

Hola Subversionistas,  :-)

Typically, if I don't have the specific branch or tag of a Subversion
working copy but do have another one, I'll do a "cp -r oldwc newwc" and
then "svn status", and then "svn switch NEWURL" to the new one to save
having to go through the (relatively) long checkout across the Internet.

Specifcally, for instance, I just updated my subversion-1.0.x branch
"cd subversion-1.0.x; svn update; cd .." and then "cp -r subversion-1.0.x
subversion-1.0.4".

Then, I do a "svn status" and ALWAYS (so far since I can remember) it
shows:

$ svn st
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVN.rgs
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOM.def
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNStatus.rgs
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOMps.def
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOM.idl
M      subversion/bindings/com/resource.h
M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOMps.mk

I go and check the source of the copy and there are no modifications.

What is special about the subversion/bindings/com/* files and why does it
ALWAYS show them as modified but no other files?

Not a problem, just one "svn revert subversion/bindings/com/*" to fix it
but it is very curious to me.

   Thanks!

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Curiosity on copying working copies

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:25:09PM -0500, David Summers wrote:

> Hola Subversionistas,  :-)
>
> Typically, if I don't have the specific branch or tag of a Subversion
> working copy but do have another one, I'll do a "cp -r oldwc newwc" and
> then "svn status", and then "svn switch NEWURL" to the new one to save
> having to go through the (relatively) long checkout across the Internet.
>
> Specifcally, for instance, I just updated my subversion-1.0.x branch
> "cd subversion-1.0.x; svn update; cd .." and then "cp -r subversion-1.0.x
> subversion-1.0.4".
>
> Then, I do a "svn status" and ALWAYS (so far since I can remember) it
> shows:
>
> $ svn st
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVN.rgs
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOM.def
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNStatus.rgs
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOMps.def
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOM.idl
> M      subversion/bindings/com/resource.h
> M      subversion/bindings/com/SVNCOMps.mk
>

> I go and check the source of the copy and there are no modifications.
>
> What is special about the subversion/bindings/com/* files and why does it
> ALWAYS show them as modified but no other files?
>
> Not a problem, just one "svn revert subversion/bindings/com/*" to fix it
> but it is very curious to me.

It's a line ending thing.  The files are wrong in the repo.  It's been
fixed on trunk.  But not on 1.0.x.  See the log for r8141.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken