Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Joe Kryzak <fl...@aligned.com> on 2013/04/19 05:18:50 UTC

IDE Integration

Changed the subject to avoid further hijacking of Michael's thread. Thanks, I'll forward this on - I've assumed they just have to change the SDK in the IDE as well, but maybe FP was the problem, not sure.

Some background for your user type here - we give our application with custom mods to more artistic types, so they can analyze the effects of scale and filter functions on the application structure and color decisions. For instance, two thinner black lines surrounding a color when zoomed out view as black. Glow usually doesn't work well, and they need to modify and learn that on their own. They wouldn't be able to determine that without the tool.They were asked to download 4.7, which doesn't contain the Worker class by default, but is a combination IDE/SDK. When they got the error, they upgraded to 4.9.1 thinking that it would update to the latest, and then asked me what was wrong when the installer didn't have an executable.

So they're really not Flex developers, but use the tool as a visual developer.

The script sounds helpful, we are on macs.

On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

Hi,

> he wanted FP 11.5. Is this IDE integration information located anywhere.
Re exact steps on using an SDK for each IDE are not on our site as far as I'm aware. I think we assumed (probably incorrectly) that most Flex developers would know how to do that.

Hopefully with the next version of the installer you'll be able to select the AIR and Flash Player version you want.

Using another version of Flash Player is fairly simple.
1. Download the correct playerglobal.swc and place in /frameworks/libs/player/<version> directory.
2. Change your project to use that FP version. In FlashBuilder you just change the flash player version in the compile

There is no need to use a newer version of Flash Player unless you need to take advantage of a newer feature. A swf compiled for FP 11.1 will run exactly the same in 11.7 as if it was compiled for FP 11.7.

> or is this resistance intentional to keep users more technical?
It's not intentional we want to try and make as easy to use and install as possible.

I also wrote a script that downloads and checks all flash player versions (checkAllFlashPlayerVersions.sh) you can find it in the ide directory. There are also scripts in the same directory change the Flash Player version and the AIR version. However they only currently work on linux/OSX as I'm not that familiar with windows and .bat scripts.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Tom Brazil <to...@systar.com>.
Ahhh. "Artistic types". That would have been good to know from the start. As a Flex developer since Flex2 days dealing with command-line compilations, the install for 4.9 and the usage of the sdk is the easiest I remember.
I was wondering what was going on. I think Alex and gang have greatly simplified things.

Best regards,
Tom

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yep, it's minor. Otherwise you see the wrong version of FP when selecting the SDK in eclipse.

Good idea. Done and I've also added AIR version in there so there's no confusion about that.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Joe Kryzak <fl...@aligned.com>.
Yep, it's minor. Otherwise you see the wrong version of FP when selecting the SDK in eclipse.
On Apr 19, 2013, at 10:47 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

Hi,

> Completed, ran well. One minor issue that setFlashPlayerVersion is missing a sed command to update flex-sdk-description.xml.
I assume you mean terms of what Flash Player version it's using?

Justin

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Joe Kryzak <fl...@aligned.com>.
Justin -

Completed, ran well. One minor issue that setFlashPlayerVersion is missing a sed command to update flex-sdk-description.xml.

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

Hi,

> They were asked to download 4.7, which doesn't contain the Worker class by default, but is a combination IDE/SDK.
That was added in Flash Player 11.4 so that's the minimum version required.

> The script sounds helpful, we are on macs.
Could be scary as it would involve using the command line, but here you go and it may help someone else.

checkAllPlayerGlobals.sh
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-sdk.git;a=blob_plain;f=ide/checkAllPlayerGlobals.sh;hb=develop

This will download and check all Flash Player playerglobal.swc versions

addAIRtoSDK.sh

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-sdk.git;a=blob_plain;f=ide/addAIRtoSDK.sh;hb=develop

This will download and add AIR to an Apache Flex SDK

addAIRtoSDK.sh <AIR version> <path to SDK>

setFlashPlayerVersion.sh
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-sdk.git;a=blob_plain;f=ide/setFlashPlayerVersion.sh;hb=develop

This will set the minimum version of the Flash Player for an SDK

setFlashPlayerVersion.sh  <path to SDK>  <FP version>

If you run it like so with no parameters it will ask some questions to determine the needed version

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Joe Kryzak <fl...@aligned.com>.
Nice work - I won't see that computer until the weekend, they'll need help with the command line invocation. In thinking about it further (after Tom's artist types!) I'm guessing they went from 4.7 to 4.9.1 and thinking the 'install' program had the same context. I'm not sure it's unreasonable with names like AS3, AIR, Flex, Flash that seemingly are the same to them? Everyone's eyes gloss over when we're talking about an actionscript project vs a flex project, so it's no surprise to me that the distinction of SDK was lost when I got the feedback that it just didn't work. Actually to me, this is a classic sign of the "innovator's dilemma", is it worth it for apache flex to support a certain type of customer. For us, we want our creative types to be the first customer of our product and experience the system, and not just an illustrator intention.

Re: IDE Integration

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,