Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Petersam, John Contractor" <Jo...@ssa.gov> on 2019/09/25 00:18:26 UTC

RE: [EXTERNAL] Large files taking forever to process

Hi Greg,
We regularly process documents that are over 5000 pages (not lines).  What we've found is that many of the annotators within the standard distribution operate at o(n^2).  The standard dependency parser is one example among many.

The good news is that you can achieve linear results if you convert these classes to use TreeMaps.  We actually build the tree maps one time and cache them in ThreadLocal variables which allows us to process multiple threads simultaneously.

Hope this helps,
John

Posted by Greg Silverman <gm...@umn.edu>.
Sean's fix did the magic.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm wondering how this would work with
our custom implementation of MetaMap with UIMA-AS (it is SLOW as molasses)

Best!

Greg--