Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Shengjie Min <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/28 14:29:14 UTC

thrift client api supports filters and coprocessor

Hi guys,

Sadly, My hbase client language is Python, I am using happybase for now
which is based on thrift AFAIK. I know thrift so far is still not
supporting filters, coprocessors (correct me if I am wrong here). Can some
one point me any Jira items I can track the plan/progress if there is one?
The only ones I can find is from "Hbase in Action":

“Thrift server to match the new Java API”:

“Make Endpoint Coprocessors Available from Thrift,”
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5600.

The 1st one doesn't seem covering filters and the 2nd one hasn't been
updated for a long while.

--
Shengjie Min

Re: thrift client api supports filters and coprocessor

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
I'm not familiar with happybase, but with the recent conversion of
coprocessor endpoints to protocol buffer services in trunk, it should be
possible to implement calling endpoints from other languages that protobufs
support.  There is a ticket to enable endpoint calls over the REST gateway:

I'm not sure how you would get thrift and PB to play nice together, but it
would at least be possible to implement a thrift wrapper of the serialized
PB service request, which could be deserialized and invoked on the thrift
server.

If you're willing to experiment, though, and need coprocessor endpoints you
might try out REST as a thrift alternative.  HBASE-6790 still remains to be
done, but it shouldn't be too much work.  Just needs someone interested to
tackle it.