Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF <je...@orange-ftgroup.com> on 2007/04/04 02:09:18 UTC

Replication with IP multicast/broadcast?

Hello,

Has anybody thought about using IP multicast to replicate the master to
the slaves and then avoid multiple rsync. The replication could happen
right away as soon as a add/delete/update happens on the master. The
master could be itself part of the multicast/broadcast group and the
requests will be sent to the multicast/broadcast IP.

Rsync could still happen, but the traffic will be reduced.

Does it sound stupid/useless?

J.

Re: Replication with IP multicast/broadcast?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 4/4/07, HUYLEBROECK Jeremy RD-ILAB-SSF
<je...@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:

> ...Has anybody thought about using IP multicast to replicate the master to
> the slaves and then avoid multiple rsync. The replication could happen
> right away as soon as a add/delete/update happens on the master....

If you need that, I'd rather go for something like a JMS bus to
replicate indexing operations, instead of reinventing something
similar.

But making it transactional would be hard IMHO, and if it's not
transactional the benefits compared to frequent rsyncs are not that
big (again IMHO, it depends on your application of course).

-Bertrand