Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/09/11 14:21:05 UTC

Re: [openejb-dev] Fwd: Info on OSGi migration of Apache projects

On 9/11/06, Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> Just yesterday I was reading about ObjectWeb EasyBeans, and I felt Jealous
> actually, why not to support the OSGi architecture specially when Geronimo
> is interested in this subject too, I started to read about the OSGi
> architecture and subscribed to the Felix mailing lists to get to know about
> this platform. Currently I have no concrete ideas about how to do it in OEJB
> but I sent this mail to report the idea and give us the opportunity to
> discuss more about it.

Great! I like discussions! ;-)

Although the OSGi spec has been on my TODO plate for a long time, I
could not find some time to read it. I remember it was Dain who
mentioned it once on dev@geronimo that the classloader architecture
outlined in the spec would be a good fit for Geronimo. Some other
articles about OSGi gave me a rough idea of what it could be
and....watch out....I ended up thinking it's very similar to the Maven
2 architecture. There're plugins (or bundles as OSGi calls them) and
they're downloaded on demand (no pun intended). Then, it made me
wonder how different it is from what's available in Geronimo as
plugins, which is exactly what M2 offers. Of course, Eclipse (as one
example of OSGi bundle for me at least) is in front of me every day
and the idea of downloading plugins when one needs it seems very
compeling. And to add some additional bits (and outline my way of
thinking about OSGi), there's XBean that's, how I call it, an enhanced
Spring Framework. Lots of tools and no clear answer what OSGi is and
how OpenEJB or Geronimo could benefit from leveraging its concepts. It
turns out it's time to read the spec so my mind won't blow up. ;-)

I'd be very glad if I could get an answer or two and the subject is
clarified a bit - reading the spec may not answer all my question and
wrong conclusions are also easy to draw without a buddy nearby.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: [openejb-dev] Fwd: Info on OSGi migration of Apache projects

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
You might also checkout what Spring is doing in this space with BEA.
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/spring/browse/SPR-1802

Looks like its catching on in a lot of projects outside of our own.

On Sep 11, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 9/11/06, Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All...
>>
>> Just yesterday I was reading about ObjectWeb EasyBeans, and I felt
>> Jealous
>> actually, why not to support the OSGi architecture specially when
>> Geronimo
>> is interested in this subject too, I started to read about the OSGi
>> architecture and subscribed to the Felix mailing lists to get to
>> know about
>> this platform. Currently I have no concrete ideas about how to do
>> it in OEJB
>> but I sent this mail to report the idea and give us the
>> opportunity to
>> discuss more about it.
>
> Great! I like discussions! ;-)
>
> Although the OSGi spec has been on my TODO plate for a long time, I
> could not find some time to read it. I remember it was Dain who
> mentioned it once on dev@geronimo that the classloader architecture
> outlined in the spec would be a good fit for Geronimo. Some other
> articles about OSGi gave me a rough idea of what it could be
> and....watch out....I ended up thinking it's very similar to the Maven
> 2 architecture. There're plugins (or bundles as OSGi calls them) and
> they're downloaded on demand (no pun intended). Then, it made me
> wonder how different it is from what's available in Geronimo as
> plugins, which is exactly what M2 offers. Of course, Eclipse (as one
> example of OSGi bundle for me at least) is in front of me every day
> and the idea of downloading plugins when one needs it seems very
> compeling. And to add some additional bits (and outline my way of
> thinking about OSGi), there's XBean that's, how I call it, an enhanced
> Spring Framework. Lots of tools and no clear answer what OSGi is and
> how OpenEJB or Geronimo could benefit from leveraging its concepts. It
> turns out it's time to read the spec so my mind won't blow up. ;-)
>
> I'd be very glad if I could get an answer or two and the subject is
> clarified a bit - reading the spec may not answer all my question and
> wrong conclusions are also easy to draw without a buddy nearby.
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [openejb-dev] Fwd: Info on OSGi migration of Apache projects

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek...

Ok, dealed, I will start reading the specs with you and then we can discuss
what we got from it :).