Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by eds2103 <sc...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/14 02:26:15 UTC

tcpsampler output of responsedata

My server application should respond with a serialized Java object upon its
receipt of a string to a TCP socket opend on a specific port on the server.
I have JMeter write out the graph results to file and I have it configured
to include the response data and success value. However, when I open the
file after the test completes, it has s="true" <responseData
type=String></responseData> Why is the response data field empty? It should
be full of this binary crap comprising the serialized Java object. Is it
blank b/c it can't display binary? What does it mean that success=true?
Does that mean it definitely succeeded and received the full response form
the server? The manual seems to suggest it will succeed if it gets the
correct response code.  I have my thing configured to output response codes
but they don't show up.

Also, there are a few that it appears time out, however those have
success=true, too.

Any help appreciated.

Re: tcpsampler output of responsedata

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21/07/2009, eds2103 <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Sorry, this thread can be closed. I've solved the problem. The server was
>  reading from an objectInputStream, but of course JMeter was not writing the
>  text usnig an ObjectOutputStream. so the server cudnt handle the input. Not
>  sure why JMeter cudnt figure out those were failures and not successes
>  though.

Success for a sampler means that the sample completed without an
error, though in the case of HTTP JMeter also considers the status
code (200, 404 etc.).

JMeter does not know that an empty response is wrong; that's what
Assertions are for.

Posted by eds2103 <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.