Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org> on 2007/10/01 21:48:47 UTC

Re: recommended way to keep local config modifications separate from Cocoon distributions

On 9/28/2007 5:27 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Lars Huttar pisze:
>
>> Understandable...
>> but that doesn't sound like a beta release to me, if it was never
>> announced as such.
>>
>> Not to be critical ... I'm just trying to gauge the risk factor of
>> diving into Cocoon 2.2 for our production apps,
>>

> If I was the one giving advice I would suggest to just play with Cocoon 2.2 non-committally at the
> beginning. As soon as you discover that Cocoon 2.2 brings a lot of features that you will start to
> consider as must-have ones I'm sure you get more confidence in Cocoon 2.2 :-)

No doubt. :-)

The addition of useful new features is important.
What I'm looking for is confidence that in 2.2, essential old features
are not missing / broken / undocumented.
> AFAIK, registration for Cocoon GT 2007[1] is still open so you may consider attending this event.
> I'm sure it's going to be the best occasion to see where Cocoon heads and how to keep up with its
> advances.

That does seem like a good idea. It's probably too late for me this year
(in terms of arranging funding and buying tickets), but I hope to go
next year.
I keep hoping there might be a GT in North America, but it seems to be a
European thing so far.

>> given that Grzegorz said
>>
>>> It's certainly not in alpha state, it has beta status for some time
>>> and there are people having big
>>> apps on top of 2.2. You can search archives of this list for people
>>> sharing their experiences.
>>>
>> I see a lot of very smart people working on Cocoon, and putting lots of
>> deep thought into it.
>> It's also my favorite web app framework, and we have a lot of time,
>> code, and learning invested in it.
>> But the continued track record of important knowledge never quite making
>> it out to an official, public site tends to sap one's confidence.
>> :-(
>>

> What a good timing you have! I mean, you surely will be interested in this[2] e-mail from Reinhard
> written today. :-)

Great! I will be looking over this with anticipation.
> I hope that some confidence has been restored.

Yes.
Thanks for humoring me...
Lars