Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/29 01:55:13 UTC

Update on meetup?

Hi bigtop. We had snow chaos erupt yesterday in massachusets... So I missed the meet up . Sorry!

Can someone jot down

- any interesting details , progress

- ideas about next steps

- what kind of beer  you guys drank

Etc...

Thanks!

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Too bad Dumbari doesn't work though...

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
hahahahahaha now *that* is another topic altogether

--
jay vyas

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
jay vyas

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Update on meetup?

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Do you expect to see ppl running analytics in dockers? A real-time one?

Or running HDFS using dockers? I don't think this is/will be a case soon if
ever. I reckon docker is hyped and hot, but is it good for real-life clusters?
If not - shall we solely focus on it besides of the convenience for dev/QE?

Cos

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
jay vyas

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
absolutely supportive of olaf's ideas to make the docker support more
platform agnostic.  We don't want to tie folks down - bigtop's mission is
to be open to solutions from all vendors !

--
jay vyas

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Olaf,

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi

Too bad that I missed meetup and start of discussion, because I only monitored dev list...

We deploy our testcluster on a single machine as pure lxc containers. Using a hiera supported puppet michel weiser is trying to merge with bigtop.

Imho one solution does not fits all.

In productiom:On a cluster of machines you would deploy bigtop on bare metal, not sacrifing runtime performance for anything.

In a longer running testcluster on a maschine:
We run a traditional os in container (i.e. We run systemd formely known as init in it). This has the big advantage that we can test long running things like kerberos tickets expiring happening on a real bare metal cluster. Right now we have journalling, with tez on hive including hue and are happy right now when we can switch on kerberos authentication.

For smoke tests the vagrant/docker scripts are really cool, i looked at it yesterday the first time. Too bad they are deeply bound to centos, I had to change many thing to get it run on debian.

Re: Update on meetup?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
jay vyas