Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/30 15:12:23 UTC

subversion multisite

Hi All,

our organisation is planning to use subversion multisite. I heard that
WANDISCO is the organisation which gives the subversion multisite product.
has anybody used that wandisco product. any
comments/opinion/issues/concerns?????

secondly, what are the different advantages of having subversion multisite.

any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards
irf

RE: subversion multisite

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@infor.com>.
>multisite means every development site will have saperate subversion server and they will >sync to each other every half an hour(lets say) to have the updated copy of source code.

>in your case , are you using single subversion server and all the developmenet sites are using >same subversion servere remotely????
>if this is true they you might have facing lots of performance/effeciency issues???

Yes, we use a single svn server. We have no performance issue at all. Svn uses the network very efficiently. Most tasks do not need to contact the server, the main exceptions are update/commit/log. Of course I guess it depends on your use case and also the client that you use.

Of course, if you want have a server at each site you can use svnsync which comes with subversion. The svn book explains how to set it up.

BOb

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Irfan Sayed!

>> > multisite means every development site will have saperate subversion
>> > server and they will sync to each other every half an hour(lets say) to
>> > have the updated copy of source code.
>>
>> Trys GIT
>> I am already out...

> please advice

That was advice.
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=GIT+version+control
And, please, stop top-posting.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
please advice

Regards
irf

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
Irfan Sayed wrote:
> can u please give me in details step to configure

Please,
- just reply-to the list: users@subversion.tigris.org
- dont top post (http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/bottom-posting.html)
- installing and running syncsvn seems quite easy for me. You'd better try
your side and if you encounter some problem, ask for that problem. The
problem you run into might be related to your distribution (resp.
Apache,...), so ask on it's user mailing list.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 07:00, Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:23, Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Please suggest.
>>
>> 1) Please stop top-posting  (not the first time you've been asked to do
>> so)
>> 2) You waited only 3 hours. If you require immediate responses, you
>> should be paying for support.
>> 3) Have you searched for the error message using Google?

> ok. now i have resolved the error. what i have seen is that replication is
> only happening one way and not the two way. i can make the changes in both
> the repository but syncing is happening only in one way. if i make the
> changes in destination repository then thiose changes will not reflect in
> source repos.
>
> how should i configure so that two way replication is enabled so that
> whenever chnages happens in any repos. those changes shud go to other repos.

svnsync is one-way by design. The way SVN implements what you're
looking for is to make all of the "slave" repositories proxy the
commits back to the "master" repository; that commit is then synced
back out to the slaves. You shouldn't be committing into the slave
repositories directly.

Re: Debate: sync (Was: subversion multisite)

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Irfan Sayed wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) <
> mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 05/18/2009 03:31 PM, Bolstridge, Andrew wrote:
>>> If you want true multi-master synchronisation, then you need to look at
>>> something like SVK.
>> In the use case of Irfan, is SVN really suited?
>> A thought about another 3-letter tool...;-)
>>
>> --
>>                              Chef de projet chez Vectoris
>>                                  Phone: +261 33 11 207 36
>> System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install
>>    http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

>  if any organisation need multisite environment then they can not opt
> subversion bec. by default it does not support true multimaster multisite
> setup. if subversion is the choice then i think WANDSICO needs to be choosen
> to achieve the multisite setup OR otherwise discard subversion and go for
> clearcase

If you don't have reasonable network connectivity or you have a very
large number of developers at several different locations you might need
  Wandisco or the proxy/svnsync setup.  Most places do fine with a
central repository and remote developers.  After the initial checkout,
subversion is very efficient at commits and updates, sending only the
changes over the network.  Try it and time it before deciding it won't
work for you - and if the time is a problem, compare the price and other
advantages of increasing network bandwidth to other solutions to the
problem.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Debate: sync (Was: subversion multisite)

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
Irfan Sayed wrote:

>  if any organisation need multisite environment then they can not opt
> subversion bec. by default it does not support true multimaster
> multisite setup. if subversion is the choice then i think WANDSICO
> needs to be choosen to achieve the multisite setup OR otherwise
> discard subversion and go for clearcase
Or git, which has also demonstrated its functionality for 'multi-master'
work as the primary source control of Linux kernel development and is
now directly supported at Sourceforge, along with Subversion.

Re: Debate: sync (Was: subversion multisite)

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) <
mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> On 05/18/2009 03:31 PM, Bolstridge, Andrew wrote:
> > If you want true multi-master synchronisation, then you need to look at
> > something like SVK.
>
> In the use case of Irfan, is SVN really suited?
> A thought about another 3-letter tool...;-)
>
> --
>                              Chef de projet chez Vectoris
>                                  Phone: +261 33 11 207 36
> System: xUbuntu 8.10 with almost all from package install
>    http://www.google.com/search?q=mihamina+rakotomandimby

 if any organisation need multisite environment then they can not opt
subversion bec. by default it does not support true multimaster multisite
setup. if subversion is the choice then i think WANDSICO needs to be choosen
to achieve the multisite setup OR otherwise discard subversion and go for
clearcase

regards
irf

Debate: sync (Was: subversion multisite)

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.

RE: subversion multisite

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.

See http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/SVKFAQ for a quick example that
might be what you want.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
On 05/18/2009 02:00 PM, Irfan Sayed wrote:
> ok.

It's better.
Now, make the effort to trim what you are replying to.
Just take the relevant parts and erase what is not needed.

> now i have resolved the error.

How, please?

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 18, 2009, at 06:00, Irfan Sayed wrote:

> ok. now i have resolved the error. what i have seen is that
> replication is only happening one way and not the two way. i can
> make the changes in both the repository but syncing is happening
> only in one way. if i make the changes in destination repository
> then thiose changes will not reflect in source repos.
>
> how should i configure so that two way replication is enabled so
> that whenever chnages happens in any repos. those changes shud go
> to other repos.

That's not what svnsync does. Svnsync is one-way replication, from a
single master to any number of slaves. Some organizations use this to
create read-only mirrors of their repositories, for clients who need
to see the contents of the repository but don't need to change it.
For example, SourceForge and other open-source hosting sites let
anyone read any project's repository, but only a handful of people
identified as that project's developers can commit changes.

If you want full read/write access on the slave, then you need to do
some additional setup. What you will really end up with is read-only
access to the slave, and if any write requests occur, they will be
transparently proxied back to the master, from which they will be
replicated back to the slave again. This is called the "write-through
proxy" feature; I'm not sure where the official documentation is but
this might help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=subversion+write-through+proxy

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Please suggest.

Regards
Irf

RE: Subversion authz configuration plugin

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Is there any plug-in or web app for managing svn authz config?
>
> Is there any approach for using a database as svn authz config backend?

Take a look at VisualSVN Server.

http://www.visualsvn.com/server/

BOb

Re: Subversion authz configuration plugin

Posted by "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)" <mi...@lab.vectoris.fr>.
On 05/18/2009 09:51 AM, 张宇 wrote:
> Is there any plug-in or web app for managing svn authz config?

It would be using a big stone to kill a fly.
"authz" file is pretty clear...

> Is there any approach for using a database as svn authz config backend?

Depending on what you call "database", you ca use LDAP.
This is commented as example in the default "authz" file.

Posted by 张宇 <zh...@vancl.cn>.
Hi all!

First of all, sorry for my English.

Is there any plug-in or web app for managing svn authz config?

Is there any approach for using a database as svn authz config backend?

Thanks

Richard

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
Ok. Thanks

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
OK. Thanks.

[...]

irfan.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

RE: subversion multisite

Posted by Olavo <ol...@gemalto.com>.
I have a question over this problem, if I don't want to have the slave
read-only, is there an easy way of doing it?

I was wondering in implementing some triggers that would warn the other
servers when someone is doing a commit so no one could do a commit at 2
places at the same time. is there another way of doing it? Really having
multi site repositories where everyone reads and writes in all projects?

Thank you

 Olavo Lira

  _____

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 04:28, Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all reply.
>
> Here is our setup. we are using subversion 1.5.4 on linux fedora 10.
> we have total 3 sites. and what i need is all the sites shud able to write
> and send changes to other two sites.
> if there is a commit happned on one site then same changes shud reflect to
> other two sites.
> we are using apache (http) based subversion configuration
>
> will svnsync will work in this sitiuation??
> please advice

Yes, svnsync with a single master and the slave repositories doing the
write-through proxy for commits should work just fine.

Re: subversion multisite

Posted by Irfan Sayed <ir...@gmail.com>.
thanks

Re: subversion multisite