Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/06/27 10:31:47 UTC

Re: Reformatting commons-io to single code style?

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 11:18:19 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 27 June 2016 at 09:09, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> This has probably been discussed a million times before, so I'll
>> keep
>> it short. commons-io has wonderfully inconsistent code style even
>> within individual code files.
>>
>> Once the move to git completes, I'd like to reformat the entire code
>> base (including javadoc) to a single style. I don't really care
>> which
>> style, my OCD is about consistency, not about which particular style
>> is in use :)
>>
>> (Is there any kind of intelliJ code style file for commons ?)
>>
>> Sorry for disturbing the hornets :)
>
> -1
>
> This causes lots of grief when trying to track where a particular
> section of code was introduced.
>
> Likewise so does reorganising methods alphabetically.
>
> If the code in a particular source file is really badly mangled then
> it's worth standardising it internally, but IMO it's
> counter-productive to reformat everything.

Both viewpoints have their advantages and drawbacks.
[E.g. one could argue that inconsistent formatting gives a bad
impression to would-be contributors.]

I'd favour more stringent filtering at the time where a piece of
code is first introduced.
[I.e. we should -1 mangled code, even it does the job.]

Gilles