Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> on 2006/03/22 22:55:05 UTC

Eclipse warnings....

Question 1:
Would people be willing to accept patches that just fix warnings that show
up in eclipse?

Right now, using the same settings I use for Celtix, there are 622
warnings in the spec, sdo, and sca projects.    I hate seeing warnings,
so I have two options:

1) Turn off most of the eclipse warnings (with I think sucks)
2) Fix the code and submit patches

In general, I don't like submitting "warnings" fixes along with patches
that provide real code changes.   The real code changes tend to get lost.
However, I just want to check to see if people are interested in warnings
patches before I spend time on it.     (FYI: Celtix is completely
warnings free, which include a bunch of checkstyle and pmd rules which
I'm not applying to tuscany.   I have NO idea how bad tuscany would be if
those types of checks were enabled.   One step at a time.....)

Question 2:
In the sdo-api package, there are some annotations for SuppressWarnings
like:
@SuppressWarnings({"ClassLoader2Instantiation"})
and
@SuppressWarnings({"AccessOfSystemProperties"})
Those warning values aren't "standard" ones that javac recognizes nor does
the eclipse compiler.   I'm just curious as to what compiler/tool they
are targeted at.    (just a curiosity question, nothing more)

Thanks!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Eclipse warnings....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Jeremy,

> I agree that we should not mix "cosmetic" stuff with real code changes
> - that just makes things more complex and by its nature "cosmetic"
> stuff should not be urgent.

Ok, what about patches to "properly" use generics, especially for the
collections.    I started looking at the warnings in sca/model, but most
of those are related to the fact that NONE of the collections in the
entire package are typed.   Is typing a collection considered a code
change or cosmetic?    Can those changes be mixed with pure cosmetic
changes?    Are those changes even wanted?   The untyped nature of the
model then propagates warnings throughout the rest of the code due to
unchecked casts needed when dealing with the untyped collections.

Also, do I just create JIRA issues for the patches?

> Please submit patches for this.
>
> > Question 2:
> > In the sdo-api package, there are some annotations for
> > SuppressWarnings like:
> > @SuppressWarnings({"ClassLoader2Instantiation"})
> > and
> > @SuppressWarnings({"AccessOfSystemProperties"})
> > Those warning values aren't "standard" ones that javac recognizes nor
> > does the eclipse compiler.   I'm just curious as to what
> > compiler/tool they are targeted at.    (just a curiosity question,
> > nothing more)
>
> They are added by IDEA when it detects checkstyle type issues. If it is
> causing a problem we can just remove them.
>
> Out of curiosity, does Eclipse have an equivalent?

Well, the eclipse compiler just recognizes the "standard" set of flags.
For others, it emits a warning, but that warning is easy to turn off.
Before I turned it off, I just was curious where they came from.

Thanks!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Eclipse warnings....

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Question 1:
> Would people be willing to accept patches that just fix warnings that show
> up in eclipse?
>
> Right now, using the same settings I use for Celtix, there are 622
> warnings in the spec, sdo, and sca projects.    I hate seeing warnings,
> so I have two options:
>
> 1) Turn off most of the eclipse warnings (with I think sucks)
> 2) Fix the code and submit patches
>
> In general, I don't like submitting "warnings" fixes along with patches
> that provide real code changes.   The real code changes tend to get lost.
> However, I just want to check to see if people are interested in warnings
> patches before I spend time on it.     (FYI: Celtix is completely
> warnings free, which include a bunch of checkstyle and pmd rules which
> I'm not applying to tuscany.   I have NO idea how bad tuscany would be if
> those types of checks were enabled.   One step at a time.....)

In general I think this kind of improvement is good but it may depend on
the severity warning and the fix. I get a lot in IDEA as well and every
so often get the urge and go in and fix some. I have been marking the
commit as "cosmetic" if it is not meant to change anything except to fix
formatting or codestyle warnings.

Re: Eclipse warnings....

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ant.

Can you apply the patch I submitted under JIRA 106 as well? It was to fix
the illegal web.xml.

Thanks,
Raymond

Patches to fix warnings are fine and appreciated. Send them in and I'll
apply them.

   ...ant

Re: Eclipse warnings....

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.