Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2013/03/07 21:35:15 UTC

Related to SOLR-4200 - further reducing INFO verbosity

On my way to the train station this morning, after reading that Hoss had
committed SOLR-4200, I had an idea for further reducing log verbosity at
INFO.  I wanted to run it by everyone before I filed an issue.

Currently when you do a commit, you get a full list of every file in
your index directory, and from what I can tell, you actually get that
full list three times in two separate log messages.  Even with a low
merge factor, this can be a LOT of files, so it's very large.  The
information does have value, but I'm not sure that it has value at INFO.

I propose moving the full file list to a separate DEBUG log message.
There could be some concern about being able to tie the shorter INFO
message to the longer DEBUG message, especially in a busy multicore
installation, so there would have to be something common in the two
messages, such as the directory path.

Should I go ahead and file the issue for this?  I can probably cook up a
starting point for the patch.  I don't expect it to be in 4.2.

Thanks,
Shawn