Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/12/09 19:58:06 UTC

[VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

This is a vote of the Avalon Committer community.

The vote is:

   To recommend to the PMC the the voting
   policies and procedures detailed below be
   adopted by the PMC.

To kick things off, here is my vote:

   +1

Cheers, Steve.

APACHE AVALON PMC VOTING PROCEDURES - PROPOSAL

Definitions
-----------

Definition 1. PMC

   All references to the PMC within this document shall be deemed as
   the Apache Avalon Project Management Committee, established in
   accordance with the Apache Board resolution of the 20 November
   2002 and subsequent amendments.

Definition 2. PMC Membership

   The PMC membership as established by the Apache Board
   resolution as detailed under definition [1].

Definition 3. PMC Chair

   A member of the PMC, as defined in definition [2], duly elected
   by the PMC Members to represent the interest of the PMC Membership
   and the broader Avalon Community towards the Apache Board as defined
   under the PMC resolution (definition [1]).

Definition 4. PMC Charter

   The initial charter of the PMC is defined under the Apache Board
   resolution as detailed under definition [1].

Definition 5. Normal Vote

   Normal votes shall be deemed as any vote not falling within the scope
   of a Qualified Majority Vote as defined by definition [6].

Definition 6. Qualified Majority Vote.

   A Qualified Majority Vote is a vote applied to any of the following:

   (a) Modification to or amendment of the PMC Charter as defined
       by definition [3].

   (b) Modification to or amendment of the policies and procedures
       established hereunder.

PMC Policies and Procedures (P&P)
---------------------------------

Article 1, PMC Voting Procedures

   (a) Preconditions to Voting

       A vote shall be proceeded by prior discussion, normally
       initiated by a an email thread commencing by the "[PROPOSAL]"
       tag with the message title.  Proposal resulting in the
       establishment of a vote shall be presented under a thread
       commencing with the "[VOTE]" tag.

   (b) Quorum Calculations

       Quorum on all motions shall be at least three (3) and not
       less than 50% of the elected members (rounded up to the
       nearest non-fractional number).

   (c) Voting Conventions

       Voting on matters placed before the PMC shall be restricted
       to the members of the PMC.  Votes may be expressed in
       support, opposition, or abstention in accordance with the
       following conventions:

       +1  a vote supporting the motion
       +0  a vote of supportive abstention
       -0  a vote of non-supportive abstention
       -1  a vote opposing the motion

       A member may vote multiple times.  The last vote registered
       within the voting period shall stand as the members vote.

   (d) Normal Majority Vote

       A vote undertaken within the scope of a Normal Vote as defined
       by definition [5], meeting preconditions defined under Article
       1 (a), shall require a majority of greater than 50%, shall be
       subject to the quorum calculations as defined under Article 1
       (b), and vote duration as defined by Article 1 (f).

   (e) Qualified Majority Vote

       A vote undertaken within the scope of a Qualified Vote as
       defined by definition [5], meeting preconditions defined under
       Article 1 (a), shall require a majority of greater than 2/3,
       shall be subject to the quorum calculations as defined under
       Article 1 (b), and vote duration as defined by Article 1 (f).

   (f) Vote Duration

       Any vote conducted by the PMC may be closed after 7 days following
       initiation providing that quorum has been met in accordance with
       Article 1 (b).  A vote not meeting quorum during the initial 7
       day period shall default to a 14 day duration.  On expiration of
       a 14 day vote duration, if quorum has not been achieved, the
       vote shall be consider as a failed vote.

   (g) Post-conditions to Voting

       A vote shall be concluded by a result announcement presented by
       email under a thread commencing by the "[VOTE-RESULT]" tag with
       the message title.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: [VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 19:58, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> This is a vote of the Avalon Committer community.
>
> The vote is:
>
>    To recommend to the PMC the the voting
>    policies and procedures detailed below be
>    adopted by the PMC.

I vote +1

- Leo Simons

<snip the proposal/>

[VOTE-RESULT] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
The vote to recommend to the PMC the the voting policies and procedures
has passed with 6 supporting votes, no abstentions and no opposing votes.

The voting record is as follows:

   +1 Stephen McConnell
   +1 Berin Loritsch
   +1 Leo Simons
   +1 Leo Sutic
   +1 Nicola Ken Barozzi
   +1 Peter Royal

Accordingly, the following recommendation will be submitted to the
Avalon PMC for adoption.

APACHE AVALON PMC VOTING PROCEDURES - RECOMMENDATION

Definitions
-----------

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stephen,

You kind of lost me there.  Specifically, votes related to code change are
subject to a binding veto.  Shouldn't it be clear somewhere that the voting
policy you've laid out does not cover such votes?  Not everyone coming along
someday is going to have the context that people reading these discussions
have.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>I get no vote,

Which is something we will be addressing in our first P&P amendement -
the policies and procedures concerning members, chair and all of that
stuff.  The role and relationship of people like yourself is an impotant
aspect to be addressed.

Exciting isn't it!

:-)

>but I'd like to extend support to the Avalon community for
>this step.

It's appreciated.

>Stephen, one issue technically missing from your document.  In all of the
>excitement to deal with Normal and Qualified votes, you defined Normal vote
>as "any vote not falling within the scope of a Qualified Majority Vote", but
>you forgot that there is still a class of votes for which there is a veto.
>
>That is the only thing that appears to be "wrong" with the docuement, unless
>I missed where you have accounted for that issue.

The issue is accounted for in that "it does not and should not exist at
the level of the PMC".  I agree with your follow-up reply to Berin that
the addition of notes detailing the non-technical orientation of the PMC
would be helpful within the descriptive text.  I would also like state
explicity that I think it would be a mistake to introduce any such
wording into the P&P formal policy - as this immediately raises the
question of the definition of what is technical and what is not. As the
proposal stand, that's something that rests with the judgment of the
respective PMC members.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Berin,

> The document is meant to address PMC specific voting procedures.
> That means procedural changes, alterations to PMC documentation,
> etc.

> It does not address technical voting.

I understand that completely.  But the document does not SAY that, which is
my point.  Take your comments, add them as a prologue, and I wouldn't have
raised the issue.

	--- Noel

RE: [VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 06:58  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>> This is a vote of the Avalon Committer community.  The vote is:
>>    To recommend to the PMC the the voting
>>    policies and procedures detailed below be
>>    adopted by the PMC.

+1
-pete

Re: [VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> This is a vote of the Avalon Committer community.
>
> The vote is:
>
>    To recommend to the PMC the the voting
>    policies and procedures detailed below be
>    adopted by the PMC.

[...]

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [VOTE] PMC Voting Policies and Procedures

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> This is a vote of the Avalon Committer community.
>
> The vote is:
>
>    To recommend to the PMC the the voting
>    policies and procedures detailed below be
>    adopted by the PMC.
>
> To kick things off, here is my vote:

I vote +1 as well.