Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "John I. Noecker Jr." <jn...@proteuseng.com> on 2009/07/07 00:41:25 UTC

HBase Error

Hello all,

I am using HBase within a Map/Reduce job, and when I run the job, it
exits with the following error:

09/07/06 18:34:42 INFO mapred.JobClient: Task Id :
attempt_200907061758_0004_m_000000_0, Status : FAILED

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: localhost:60000

 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$TableServers.getMaster
(HConnectionManager.java:239)

 at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$TableServers.locateReg
ion(HConnectionManager.java:439)

 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable.<init>(HTable.java:115)

 at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HTable.<init>(HTable.java:98)

 at com.proteus.athena.hadoop.xml.XmlMapper.map(XmlMapper.java:74)

 at com.proteus.athena.hadoop.xml.XmlMapper.map(XmlMapper.java:1)

 at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapRunner.run(MapRunner.java:50)

I am running Hadoop 0.19.1 with HBase 0.19.3.  I have a cluster of 5
nodes, with one node (named 'elroy' == 10.1.0.200) serving as the Hadoop
namenode and  jobtracker and the HBase Master.

My hbase-site.xml:

<configuration>

  <property>

    <name>hbase.rootdir</name>

    <value>hdfs://elroy/hbase</value>

  </property>

  <property>

    <name>hbase.master</name>

    <value>elroy:6000</value>

  </property>

</configuration>

My regionservers:

10.1.0.200

10.1.0.201

10.1.0.202

10.1.0.203

10.1.0.204

It seems that when the Map/Reduce job attempts to contact the HBase
database, it tries to do so on localhost:6000 instead of elroy:6000...
Since I have hbase.master set in hbase-site.xml, I am not sure why it is
doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John Noecker Jr.

RE: HBase Error

Posted by "John I. Noecker Jr." <jn...@proteuseng.com>.
Managed to work it out.  Once I had hbase-site.xml in the Hadoop conf/
directory, I just had to restart hbase AND hadoop to get things working.
I had restarted hadoop but it seems hbase was not running.  My mistake,
sorry.

Thanks for your help, St.Ack!

John

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
(First, thanks for updating the thrift wiki pages on hbase)

You need to add the hbase conf directory to HADOOP_CLASSPATH, not
hbase-site.xml.

But, adding hbase-site.xml into the HADOOP conf dir should have done it.

Does the below need a port?

>    <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
>
>    <value>hdfs://elroy/hbase</value>

I'm guessing you are running the shell on the master node?

If you run it from other than master passing the --master=HOST:PORT
argument, does that work?

Thanks John,
St.Ack

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:51 AM, John I. Noecker Jr. <jnoecker@proteuseng.com