Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by doyouhas <zj...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/23 18:57:23 UTC

"Communications link failure" Exception being thrown.... Dear god help

I have pasted the relevant contents of the catalina.out file to the link
below, as in the past some people have complained about code formatting.
When I began testing my application, I was actually running a mysql server
on an ec2 instance instead of running against an RDS instance. So my
database currently is residing in an Aurora serverless cluster. I haven't
experienced this exception before. That is the only major differences
between my earlier test configurations. I am really stuck here, I have no
idea where to begin troubleshooting this issue. Checked the syslog, no
relevant messages logged there. I get the classic "blank screen" situation
that I have posted about in the past. Any help on this would be greatly
appreciated.

--Zach

http://dpaste.com/0GJ63JE

Re: "Communications link failure" Exception being thrown.... Dear god help

Posted by doyouhas <zj...@gmail.com>.
I wish you had a little more faith in me than that. Yes I made sure I was
able to establish a connection with the cluster by using the mysql client
with the same credentials I provided to guacamole. I was able to get into
the console no problem.

Re: "Communications link failure" Exception being thrown.... Dear god help

Posted by doyouhas <zj...@gmail.com>.
Alright guys. I have an update to this story. I put together a small java
class for the purpose of testing JDBC functionality on the EC2 instance in
question. I was able to execute a query successfully against my database
using the same MySQL jar that resides in my /etc/guacamole/lib folder. So I
am fairly confident now there is an issue with my configuration, the RDS
cluster is not the issue. I tried to do the bare minimum config according to
the docs. The current layout of my /etc/guacamole directory:

/etc/guacamole/lib/mysql-connector-java-8.0.12.jar
/etc/guacamole/extensions/guacamole-auth-jdbc-mysql-0.9.14.jar

My guacamole.properties file is as follows:

# Guacd settings
guacd-hostname: localhost
guacd-port: 4822

# MySQL properties
mysql-hostname: <hostname>
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: <db>
mysql-username: <user>
mysql-password: <password>

Re: "Communications link failure" Exception being thrown.... Dear god help

Posted by Zachary Piazza <zj...@gmail.com>.
 Until I get a response from aws I'm just gonna use a regular mysql server
on an ec2 instance which should work no problem. Thanks again for all the
suggestions guys, you are awesome.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net>.
MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, so the mysql-auth extension should work the
same as it does with MySQL.

Erik Berndt

--

This
 e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are

addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person

responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be

advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,

dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately
notify Superior Paving Corp. by telephone at (703)
631-0004.  You will be
reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in
notifying us.

Re: "Communications link failure" Exception being thrown.... Dear god help

Posted by Zachary Piazza <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net>.
Hey Zach,

>The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.Oct 23, 2018 6:28:44 PM com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse logExceptionSEVERE: Mapped exception to response: 500 (Internal Server Error)

Have you checked any of the AWS logs? Based on the text above, there may be
something relevant there as to why the db server is not responding. Are you
able to ping across from the Guacamole instance to the db server and
vice-versa?

Erik Berndt

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.