Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/03 22:08:48 UTC

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM Brian Inglis
<Br...@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On 2022-01-21 08:04, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Brian Inglis
> > <Br...@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >> Curl lists it under but separate "Windows - Cygwin" which is similar to
> >> their Linux distro listings and is probably clearer:
> >>          https://curl.se/download.html
>
> > Ah, thanks for this!
> > What is the canonical way to install Subversion in the Cygwin
> > environment? I ask because our Binary Packages page at
> > https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html gives the command (e.g.,
> > apt-get, pkg_add, brew, etc.) to install SVN on various Unices, so I'd
> > like to do the same here.
>
>  From OP:
> "binary (also source) packages available for installation using the
> Cygwin Setup program available from cygwin.com".
>
> Cygwin offers users only a native Windows GUI executable Cygwin Setup
> program (built using Cygwin autotools and Mingw tools) available for
> x86_64 (and x86) arches downloadable from Cygwin [https://cygwin.com/]:
>
> "...
> Installing Cygwin
>
> Install Cygwin by running setup-x86_64.exe
> [https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]
>
> Use the setup program to perform a fresh install or to update an
> existing installation. [https://cygwin.com/install.html]"
> 32 bit Cygwin
> You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit
> Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
> setup-x86.exe installer. [https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]
> The signature can be used to verify the validity of this binary.
> [https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe.sig]"
>
> The Cygwin Setup program is manually downloaded (from home page via
> browser, curl, wget/2, etc.) wherever the user decides and also supports
> a command line interface which may involve GUI dialogs and windows
> appearing, depending on how many of the many options you provide e.g.
>
> -g, --upgrade-also       Upgrade installed packages also
> -n, --no-shortcuts       Disable creation of desktop and start shortcuts
> -P, --packages PKG,...   Specify packages to install
> -q, --quiet-mode         Unattended setup mode
> -r, --no-replaceonreboot Disable replacing in-use files on next reboot
> -v, --verbose            Verbose output
>
> : basic commands
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion,subversion-tools
> : X GUIs
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-gnome,kdesvn
> : file import utilities
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P svn-load,svn_load_dirs
> : repo conversion utilities
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P git-svn,cvs2svn
> : language interpreter bindings
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-perl,subversion-python,^
> subversion-ruby
> : Apache module
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-httpd
> : developer/maintainer headers, import libraries, and debug info
>  > .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-devel,subversion-debuginfo,^

Added to our staging site:

https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin

(Done in r1897742 and r1897743)

Feedback and corrections welcome!

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 10:24 AM Daniel Sahlberg
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the command for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the same way for both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd suggest remove .exe from 32-bit.

Ah good catch! Fixed in 1897772.

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Brian Inglis <Br...@SystematicSw.ab.ca>.
On 2022-02-04 08:23, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> Den tors 3 feb. 2022 kl 23:09 skrev Nathan Hartman:
>     Added to our staging site:
>     https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin
>     <https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin>
>     (Done in r1897742 and r1897743)
>     Feedback and corrections welcome!
> Thanks for doing this, looks great!
> One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the
> command for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the
> same way for both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd
> suggest remove .exe from 32-bit.

Thanks folks - LGTM - and agreed, as .exe is something we normally drop
in examples for compatibility, documentation, interoperability, and
standardization reasons!

Re: Cygwin Subversion Packages Available

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tors 3 feb. 2022 kl 23:09 skrev Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan@gmail.com
>:

> Added to our staging site:
>
> https://subversion-staging.apache.org/packages.html#windows-cygwin
>
> (Done in r1897742 and r1897743)
>
> Feedback and corrections welcome!

Thanks for doing this, looks great!

One small thing, the command for 64-bit is 'setup-x86_64' while the command
for 32-bit is 'setup-x86.exe'. I think we should have it the same way for
both. Since the file extension is not need on Windows, I'd suggest remove
.exe from 32-bit.

Kind regards,
/Daniel