Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Andras D <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/28 13:45:01 UTC

HTTPD server stops responding

It happened several times in the last 2-3 weeks (once in every 2-3 days)
that my HTTP server just disappears and cannot be accessed. It either just
sticks on "connecting...." or "The connection was reset" when I try to
access the page. I have to give a "Restart Service" to get it working again.
Strangely, there is no error noted in the error.log or the
connection/activity logs.
Any ideas on how to fix it? I can't stand by the server and keep resetting
it.

Andras

Re: HTTPD server stops responding

Posted by Andras D <an...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the sugestions.

just for the info:
it was a clean install of a pre-compiled apache+php package.
after setting the php thread execution timeout from 30 sec to 60 about 4
days ago I had no freezes. (the machine sometimes has other overwhelming
softs running, and maybe sometimes that caused my server to hang.
debug loglevel will hopefully help me if it hangs again.

I consider this subject closed. thanks for all who assisted.
Andras

my Personal home page: http://www.andrasd.com

Re: HTTPD server stops responding

Posted by Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com>.

Posted by Andras D <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com>.
Andras D wrote:
> It happened several times in the last 2-3 weeks (once in every 2-3 days)
> that my HTTP server just disappears and cannot be accessed. It either
> just
> sticks on "connecting...." or "The connection was reset" when I try to
> access the page.  I have to give a "Restart Service" to get it working
> again.
> Strangely, there is no error noted in the error.log or the
> connection/activity logs.
> Any ideas on how to fix it? I can't stand by the server and keep
> resetting
> it.
No one can tell you how to fix it until they know what the problem is.
Is it because of your custom module?  (check by removing your module and
waiting for it to "hang".)  Is it because of a network or OS related
problem (or patch, e.g. reloading a firewall)?  Is it because of
specific types of requests?  (Put a hook in your module to log incoming
connections and the requested URL to get more information).  If it does
it without any custom modules, you may want to ask your OS provider, and
perhaps the HTTPD users' list instead of this one.

Just use some simple isolation troubleshooting to pin-point the problem,
and then we may be able to help, depending on what you find.

Joe