Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net> on 2010/07/04 14:14:35 UTC

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 11:51 -0500, Eric Evans wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 07:53 -0700, Kochheiser,Todd W - TOK-DITT-1 wrote:
> > On a related but separate note: While I am fairly new to Cassandra and
> > have only been following the mailing lists for a few months, the
> > conversation with Kevin Rose on TWiT made me curious if the versions
> > of Cassandra that Digg, Twitter, and Facebook are using may end up
> > being forks of the Apache project or old versions.
>
> Facebook and Apache have diverged (technically we're the fork). To the
> best of my knowledge, this has always been the case.

This person's understanding is that Facebook 'no longer contributes to
nor uses Cassandra.':

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/05/17/beyond-cassandra/

I assume it's accurate - policy reasons wouldn't interest me as much as
technical ones.

Bill

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, what exactly did they replace it with.

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.
On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 05:59 -0500, Colin Clark wrote:
> What were the right questions?  I view Facebook's move away from
> Cassandra as somewhat significant.

For here, I guess it's only significant if there are interesting
technical reasons. I find Cassandra's design tradeoffs close to optimal,
so I'm naturally curious if there's some axis (eg partial ordering of
writes, trading off latency for consistency etc) involved or an
interesting domain problem (eg graph processing).

> And are they indeed using HBase then, and if so, what were the right
> answers?

Lots of companies do or don't adopt technology for non-technical
reasons. Facebook I gather has made big investments in Hadoop, I'd say
it's natural to look at things that run on that ecosystem.

Bill

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Colin Clark <co...@cloudeventprocessing.com>.

REMOVE

Posted by Stephanie Mardell <sm...@sageca.com>.
Please remove me from the list. Thank you.

Warm Regards,

Stephanie
It's sad to see engineers ready to switch from one solution to another, simply because they hear rumors about Facebook or some other large website moving away from it. The part the really bothers me is how people were ready to look for an alternative solution before they even verified this rumor or even heard the reason behind the rumor.

I would love to hear more about data modeling with Cassandra. I have gather a lot of good information from reading various presentations by Benjamin Black, Jonathan Ellis and others. The most important piece of the puzzle is to understand how you intend to access the data and then model everything based upon that.

Cheers,

Richard L. Burton III
http://www.SmartCodeLLC.com

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Avinash Lakshman <av...@gmail.com>> wrote:
FB Inbox Search still runs on Cassandra and will continue to do so. I should know since I maintain it :).

Cheers
Avinash

--
David Strauss
  | david@fourkitchens.com<ma...@fourkitchens.com>
  | +1 512 577 5827 [mobile]
Four Kitchens

--
-Richard L. Burton III

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by "Richard L. Burton III" <mr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Avinash

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Avinash Lakshman <avinash.lakshman@gmail.com

--
-Richard L. Burton III

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Juho Mäkinen <ju...@gmail.com>.
Nice to hear, 150 nodes is quite a lot. I have another question on the
topic: I've read that most of the data in facebook is stored as
key=>value -pairs which are cached to memcached layer and then stored
to mysql as simple key-value -pairs for persistence (so no relations
in mysql). Are you still doing this, or have you switched to store the
key-value -pairs in cassandra instead of mysql? What else are you
storing in cassandra than just the inbox search?

 - Juho Mäkinen

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Benjamin Black <b...@b3k.us>.
Thanks, second funniest thing I've read this month!

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Carlos Alvarez <cb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Matt Su <MA...@morningstar.com> wrote:
> This thread make us raised a concern: we choose Cassandra because
> FB,Twitter,Digg are using them, and we’re doubting whether Cassandra is
> definitely trustable.

If cassandra is definitely trustable is something that you have to
find by yourself, not something that can be settled by the technical
(or not technicals, you will never know) decitions made at other
companies.

I'd say that while looking at what others are doing is a very
important part of the decition making process, but doing what others
are doing just because others are doing that, is a kind of herd
behaviour.

Before using cassandra (or any other open source) I would advice to
wonder "what if we have to fix bugs by ourselves?". You'll always have
the source code and, even in a extreme situation, you will be able to
support your infraestructure: the beauty of open source.

Carlos.

RE: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Prashant Malik <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Terje Marthinussen <tm...@gmail.com>.
http://twitter.com/nk/status/17903187277
Another "not using" joke?

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Jeremy Davis <je...@gmail.com>.
That is an interesting statistic. 1 TB per node?
Care to share any more info on the specs of this cluster? Drive types/Cores
per node/etc...
-JD

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Prashant Malik <pm...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Avinash Lakshman <avinash.lakshman@gmail.com

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Joe Stump <jo...@joestump.net>.
On Jul 6, 2010, at 6:18 PM, David Strauss wrote:

> Then I'll tell my friend at Facebook to stick to topics he's qualified
> to speak about. :-)

You might want to clarify that this advice applies to all topics of discussion and not just Facebook related ones. ;)

--Joe

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by David Strauss <da...@fourkitchens.com>.

--
David Strauss
   | david@fourkitchens.com
   | +1 512 577 5827 [mobile]
Four Kitchens

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Avinash Lakshman <av...@gmail.com>.

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by David Strauss <da...@fourkitchens.com>.
On 2010-07-05 15:40, Eric Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 13:14 +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
>> This person's understanding is that Facebook 'no longer contributes to
>> nor uses Cassandra.':
>>
>> http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/05/17/beyond-cassandra/
>
> Last I heard, Facebook was still using Cassandra for what they had
> always used it for, Inbox Search. Last I heard, there were no plans in
> place to change that.

I had the opportunity to talk with some Facebook infrastructure
engineers in San Francisco over the past few weeks. They are no longer
using Cassandra, even for inbox search.

Inbox search was intended to be an initial push for using Cassandra more
broadly, not the primary target of the Cassandra design. Unfortunately,
Facebook's engineers later decided that Cassandra wasn't the right
answer to the right question for Facebook's purposes.

That decision isn't an indictment of Cassandra's capability; it's
confirmation that Cassandra isn't everything to everyone. But we already
knew that. :-)

--
David Strauss
   | david@fourkitchens.com
   | +1 512 577 5827 [mobile]
Four Kitchens

Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 13:14 +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> This person's understanding is that Facebook 'no longer contributes to
> nor uses Cassandra.':
>
> http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/05/17/beyond-cassandra/

Last I heard, Facebook was still using Cassandra for what they had
always used it for, Inbox Search. Last I heard, there were no plans in
place to change that.

> I assume it's accurate - policy reasons wouldn't interest me as much
> as technical ones.

My understanding is that their new initiatives use (or will use) HBase.
I was never able to get anyone to go into detail on why.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com