Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by wb...@infowest.com on 2005/10/29 10:56:25 UTC

[users@httpd] I'm having trouble using SetEnv on my Macintosh

I have OS X.3.
I'm trying to use J (an interpretted language) from
jsoftware.com for CGI.  But
J needs an environment variable set
JPATHj504=/Users/llund/j504

If I create a shell script to set the environment variable
and then invoke J it
works.  But I want to avoid the extra file read.  J supports
#! .  I.e.
#!/Users/llund/j504/jconsole
works if the JPATHj504 environment variable is set.  So I
would like to have
httpd set that variable.  But when I try

SetEnv JPATHj504 /Users/llund/j504

in httpd.conf Apache fails to start up.  I have also tried

SetEnv JPATHj504 "/Users/llund/j504"

Do I have the syntax wrong?  Or do I have to put it just the
right
place in httpd.conf?

Re: [users@httpd] I'm having trouble using SetEnv on my Macintosh

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 02:56 -0600 10/29/05, wbs@infowest.com wrote:
>I have OS X.3.
>SetEnv JPATHj504 /Users/llund/j504

setenv is the tcsh command to set environment and it is case sensitive.

In bash one needs to "export" environment variables. OS neXt defaults to bash unless you change it.

Global environment variables are set in OS neXt with a plist file you have to create yourself. It's in

$HOME/.MacOSX/environment.plist  (Ask off line if you'd like a copy of my plist file as a starter.)

And. . . I use apache on a Linux box. I just control it from my Mac.
--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--

Re: [users@httpd] I'm having trouble using SetEnv on my Macintosh

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 10/29/05, wbs@infowest.com <wb...@infowest.com> wrote:
>  But when I try