Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Luca, Dan (STP)" <Da...@bsci.com> on 2010/09/11 00:30:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Http trailers

Hi All,

I'm having Apache web server (latest version - 2.2) connected to a
Tomcat (also latest version - 6.0.29) server through the mod_proxy_ajp
module. The Tomcat server hosts a spring 3.0 based application.

The clients of this application are embedded devices that use HTTP/1.1
protocol and send chunked http requests to the server that include
trailers as well.
The application hosted by Tomcat does not see any of those trailers, I
was expecting to find them as additional headers (per RFC 2616, 14.40)
in the http request object.
There are no messages in the Apache's error log file.

Does anyone know whether this is something that Apache web server does
not do/support or my configuration needs adjusted (and how)?

Here is a sample chunked http request to give you an idea:
POST /controller HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
TE: chunked
Trailer: x-Content-Signature

358
<request body - first chunk>
240
<request body - last chunk>
0
x-Content-Signature: <signature>

The "x-Content-Signature" trailer does not get transferred into the
request headers.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Luca.