Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/02 20:38:39 UTC

github fun, odd pull request behavior or odd user behavior :)

Hey everyone,

Trying to tackle one of the bug tickets, FLEX-34378. I've been able to
produce a patch file and attach to the ticket, but I also wanted to create
a pull request.

A while ago I forked the code and generated by first pull request
(FLEX-34324). It was nice and clean and the request only contained the
files I changed.

Fast forward to yesterday. I noted that my fork of flex-sdk was woefully
behind (something like 44 commits have been made to develop since I
forked). So before I started to patch, I decided to fetch those into my
forked repository.

I created a new branch in my fork from develop, made my changes, tested and
all looked great.  I created the patch file and added it to the ticket.
But the pull request got a little odd. When I looked at my new branch
(FLEX-34378) it said it had two commits and was 0 commits behind develop.
So I clicked on the "Compare, review, create pull request" button just to
the right the branch selector on github.  Now when I review the pull
request, it shows that it has 46 commits, 133 files changed, and 7
contributors.  Am I right in expecting for this pull request to only
contain stuff that I did?

I'm sure i'm either doing it wrong or not fully understanding how github
works.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Re: github fun, odd pull request behavior or odd user behavior :)

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.
yeah.  How do you update your fork when you notice that develop has been
updated at apache/flex-sdk? I have the following remote entries for
flex-sdk.

C:\Users\cmartin\Documents\GitHub\flex-sdk>git remote -v
origin  https://github.com/chrsmrtn-/flex-sdk.git (fetch)
origin  https://github.com/chrsmrtn-/flex-sdk.git (push)
upstream        https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk.git (fetch)
upstream        https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk.git (push)

So i'm assuming i'd just execute "git fetch upstream" to being in the new
commits into my repo.

Chris

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Chris Martin <wi...@gmail.com>.