Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> on 2015/04/29 13:23:23 UTC

[lang] Apache at Github

Hi mates,

OK, lang is now using Git. I've cloned the repo from
git-wip-us.apache.org, setup local user name and mail address, committed a
minimal change to .gitignore and pushed. Fine. At least for a Git n00b.

I am curious about the relationship to the Apache organization at Github
though. It contains a mirror of commons-lang, so far so good. I see all
those pull requests there, so how do they have to be processed? Do I have to
push against Github instead? And how do I get member of the organization
there, AFAICS it is the prerequisite to push? We have no comment about it in
our wiki.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
The mirror is read-only, so you will apply the pull requests to the main
repository

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I haven't found out how to get this right. Do we have documentation at the
> ASF hwo to do this right? I've only managed to mark PRs as closed when
> merging them back by adding "This closes #61" to the merge commit message.
> Is it possible to mark PRs as merged at github?

I still think we should create  a little tester project for folks to play
with like I suggested way back when we talked about moving everyone to
Git.  This way, you can do whatever you want to the "code" to play around
(like cutting releases, etc.) in order to get the process down right.  This
could help us test the commons parent and what not.  Obviously, you could
use it to play around with the pull requests.

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Am Thu, 30 Apr 2015 09:18:43 +1000
schrieb Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>:
> I looked through all of the commit messages just now again and I can't
> see "closes #1" on them, but the pull request was quite promptly
> closed automatically by GitHub when I pushed the merge commit to
> git-wip-us.

I think it detects the commit hash (if unchanged) and then asks the
submitter to close it or something?

Gruss
Bernd

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 29 April 2015 at 23:51, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 29/04/2015 14:18, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> All pull requests are manually merged by a committer and then pushed
>>> to git-wip-us. The git-wip-us repository is then automatically
>>> mirrored back to GitHub. GitHub will then automatically close the Pull
>>> Request when they see that there is a merge commit that combines the
>>> commits from the Pull Request back into the branch the Pull Request
>>> was targeted at.
>>>

>> I haven't found out how to get this right. Do we have documentation at the
>> ASF hwo to do this right? I've only managed to mark PRs as closed when
>> merging them back by adding "This closes #61" to the merge commit message.
>> Is it possible to mark PRs as merged at github?
>
> No. Commenting in the commit message is the way to do it.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. However, I am sure that I
have manually pushed merge commits without "closes #NN" in any of the
comments in the past directly to GitHub for other projects and the
pull request has been closed by it (and the same goes for
BitBucket/Stash in my experience).

One recent pull request that I closed without "closes #NN" on it was:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/pull/1

I looked through all of the commit messages just now again and I can't
see "closes #1" on them, but the pull request was quite promptly
closed automatically by GitHub when I pushed the merge commit to
git-wip-us.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 29/04/2015 14:18, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> All pull requests are manually merged by a committer and then pushed
>> to git-wip-us. The git-wip-us repository is then automatically
>> mirrored back to GitHub. GitHub will then automatically close the Pull
>> Request when they see that there is a merge commit that combines the
>> commits from the Pull Request back into the branch the Pull Request
>> was targeted at.
>>

> I haven't found out how to get this right. Do we have documentation at the
> ASF hwo to do this right? I've only managed to mark PRs as closed when
> merging them back by adding "This closes #61" to the merge commit message.
> Is it possible to mark PRs as merged at github?

No. Commenting in the commit message is the way to do it.

Mark
(wearing his infra hat)

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

[snip]

> Maybe someone more knowledgable could add something about batches and
> CI hooks (and does somebody remeber the URL to the info which describes
> how to get added to the ASF commiter team, it was in the developer
> documentation somewhere but I cant find it).

Thank's for the pointer. It's in the private repos,
committers/docs/github_team.txt

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>.
Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I added the following text to the Wiki page:
>>
>> = GitHub Integration =
>>
>> GitHub is a popular commercial Git hosting service. The ASF GIT
>> repositories are mirrored there to increase visibility and to encourage
>> more collaborators. The Infra team is responsible for maintaining the
>> [[https://github.com/apache/|Github Apache Organisation]]. As an Apache
>> committer you can also get added to the Team on !GitHub, but this has
>> no function for access control, it is purely to show off your
>> affiliation. Some Apache Commons projects chose to advertise the
>> related !GitHub project (to accept pull requests or even problem
>> reports). For example the ''README.md'' and ''CONTRIBUTING.md'' files
>> produced by the ''build-plgin'' describe this workflow. If you accept a
>> pull request, you have to apply it as a patch to the Apache WIP
>> repository, this commit will then be propagated to the !GitHub mirror.
>> In the comment of the commit/merge you should use !GitHub syntax
>> (closes #xx) to close the PR. There is no other way to close pull
>> requests. So to reduce the INFRA teams workload (to work on your
>> tickets with close requests) remember this procedure.
>>

>> Maybe someone more knowledgable could add something about batches and
>> CI hooks (and does somebody remeber the URL to the info which describes
>> how to get added to the ASF commiter team, it was in the developer
>> documentation somewhere but I cant find it).
>>

> I've added what I've learned so far.

Thanks to all who improved the wiki!

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [lang] Apache at Github

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> Hello,
>
> I added the following text to the Wiki page:
>
> = GitHub Integration =
>
> GitHub is a popular commercial Git hosting service. The ASF GIT
> repositories are mirrored there to increase visibility and to encourage
> more collaborators. The Infra team is responsible for maintaining the
> [[https://github.com/apache/|Github Apache Organisation]]. As an Apache
> committer you can also get added to the Team on !GitHub, but this has
> no function for access control, it is purely to show off your
> affiliation. Some Apache Commons projects chose to advertise the
> related !GitHub project (to accept pull requests or even problem
> reports). For example the ''README.md'' and ''CONTRIBUTING.md'' files
> produced by the ''build-plgin'' describe this workflow. If you accept a
> pull request, you have to apply it as a patch to the Apache WIP
> repository, this commit will then be propagated to the !GitHub mirror.
> In the comment of the commit/merge you should use !GitHub syntax
> (closes #xx) to close the PR. There is no other way to close pull
> requests. So to reduce the INFRA teams workload (to work on your
> tickets with close requests) remember this procedure.
>

> Maybe someone more knowledgable could add something about batches and
> CI hooks (and does somebody remeber the URL to the info which describes
> how to get added to the ASF commiter team, it was in the developer
> documentation somewhere but I cant find it).

I've added what I've learned so far.

Thank you!
Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/