Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2008/12/16 04:54:36 UTC

Re: Optimizing for low memory usage

> Hi SAs
>
> I'm installing SA under a Soekris, it has only 256 MB of ram, because it boots
> using a flash there is not swap memory so I have a problem with memory.
>
> Does anyone has any configuration, recomendation to optimize SA for lowmemory
> machines? Maybe turnning off some plugins?
>
> LD

Only thing I can think of is try it on a real time embedded os that doesn't
need flash.
Years ago, we were the worlds largest distributor of an RTOS called 'qnx'.
When we moved from QNX to *BSD, we went from running named, sendmail and
innd on 16MB of ram with no swap into the unix world.

QNX has two runtime flavors, one that just creates linux compatible code,
and the commercial runtimes for QNX embedded applications.

You either need to pay for ram (for swap), or a QNX RTOS runtime.

If you are trying to create a commercial anti-spam appliance 'clam shell'
type box, with no ram and no flash, might as well skip spamassassin and do
what you can with YOUR MTA and UCE rules for it.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer