Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/05/06 05:26:16 UTC

[doc] Links to the old manuals removed from Derby web site

The manuals originally contributed to Apache were comprised of html
source files that were replaced recently by files in the DITA XML format.

Document corrections have been applied only to the DITA XML files, which
means the old manuals are no longer up to date. To reduce confusion,
especially for new users, I removed the links to those old manuals from
the Derby web site; however, they are still available in the Subversion
repository if we find a need for them.

I just committed this change; it'll become visible with the next
www.apache.org site refresh (currently scheduled for every 4 hours).

regards,

  -jean

Re: [doc] Links to the old manuals removed from Derby web site

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Also I don't think you can say 'issues must not be logged against the
> original html files'.

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected, eat my words.

> I think anyone one could, if they wanted to,
> produce a new 10.0 release with updated documentation. I can't see why
> anyone would object to that, we might encourage them to also fix any
> problems in the DITA source as well.

Anybody is welcome to post patches that fix the original docs.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> We need a section on the site for manuals that correspond to the
> releases, almost like Jeff proposed but I would name the heading
> 'Releases', not 'Previous versions'.

"Almost like Jeff proposed" on derby-dev. Perhaps this is a good time to
move this discussion to derby-dev and invite anybody who is interested
on derby-user to participate there. Either that or move the derby-dev
discussion to this list so we can avoid two threads.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> As an alternative, I could add a link on
> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html that says "Click
> here for the old 10.0 manuals". On a new page I could provide navigable
> links to the old 10.0 manuals and make it as clear as best I can that
> issues must not be logged against those files.

We need a section on the site for manuals that correspond to the
releases, almost like Jeff proposed but I would name the heading
'Releases', not 'Previous versions'.

The DITA source is a development snapshot of the manuals, much like the
trunk is for the engine code.

For 10.0 the manuals section would just have the html docs, but for 10.1
and onwards the same section might include the DITA sources,
downloadable PDF files and on-line html files.

Also I don't think you can say 'issues must not be logged against the
original html files'. I think anyone one could, if they wanted to,
produce a new 10.0 release with updated documentation. I can't see why
anyone would object to that, we might encourage them to also fix any
problems in the DITA source as well.

Dan.

Re: [doc] Links to the old manuals removed from Derby web site

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>Document corrections have been applied only to the DITA XML files, which
>>means the old manuals are no longer up to date. To reduce confusion,
>>especially for new users, I removed the links to those old manuals from
>>the Derby web site; however, they are still available in the Subversion
>>repository if we find a need for them.
>
> Aren't those manuals you removed the 10.0 manuals?

Clarification: no manuals have been removed.  Only the visible web site
navigation to them has been removed. (So links in email and Jira will
still work.)

> The DITA source doesn't apply to 10.0 does it, since there have been
> changes to the source for some of the 10.1 features.

As I understand it, the DITA source contains all the 10.0 changes plus
the 10.1 features.

> Or am I just confused?

No; I think we have something to sort out on derby-dev.

As an alternative, I could add a link on
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html that says "Click
here for the old 10.0 manuals". On a new page I could provide navigable
links to the old 10.0 manuals and make it as clear as best I can that
issues must not be logged against those files.

sound better?

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [doc] Links to the old manuals removed from Derby web site (ummm, restored)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
ok, eating my words, I undid this change and it'll be visible on the web
site after the next www.apache.org site refresh.

But I made one change to the navigation compared to the way it was
before. Originally the navigation menu had these sections, which was
format-centric:

    -About
    -DITA
    -Original manuals

I changed those categories to be version-centric, which makes more
sense, and also reversed the order of the manuals:

    -About
    -10.0 Manuals
      + Getting Started
      + etc.
    -10.1 Alpha Manuals
      + DITA source
      + Getting Started
      + etc.

To date, doc corrections have only been applied to the 10.1 manuals, so
the most up-to-date information, even for 10.0 features, will be found
in the 10.1 manuals. Before reporting a problem in a 10.0 manual, please
check to see if the problem still exists in the 10.1 manuals.

regards,

  -jean