Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Chio Chuan Ooi <ch...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/14 14:48:35 UTC

Suspend Camel Route on Healthcheck failed

Hi All,

i working on the microservice using camel with springboot which the
application is consuming the kafka message (using camel-kafka), transform
and trigger Soap API (camel-cxf).
The application is having healtcheck (spring-boot actuator) which doing the
ping to the Soap API via the readiness probe from kubernetes.

As the readiness probe from kubernetes only removes the pod from the
service when the readiness probe is failed, but because my application is
not exposed via http but consumed from kafka,
removing it from service does not stop it from processing the message.

This will cause all the messages consumed tend to be failed.

In order to handle that, i was thinking if i can suspend/stop the route
(camel-kafka) when the  healthcheck is failed.

1. i have come across some comment in stackoverflow which "control bus" can
be use to suspend the route on healthcheck failure.
Are there any existing features or components that I can make use of? Or is
that any better approach in the kubernetes environment?

2. Is it a good idea if I also use the "control bus" as a circuit breaker?
suspend the route when there are too many failures?

Thanks and Regards,
Chio Chuan