Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Rose, Bobby" <br...@med.wayne.edu> on 2005/03/16 12:55:52 UTC

RE: URI Tests and Japanese Chars (solved)

I figured out the problem, it' was the an individuals email address in
the message body (even though not a mailto).  Their email domain isn't
listed at spamhaus.org but it turns out one of their ISPs DNS servers
are which they are using as secondary.  This makes the second time I've
come across this.  The last time it was an ISP's (pipex.net) DNS server
in the U.K. that was tripping the URIBL_SBL rule.

This time the user is in the med.juntendo.ac.jp (Juntendo Univ Med
School) who's ISP is cwidc.net and the DNS server  ns03.cwidc.net
(154.33.17.212) is the one in spamhaus.org which they say is hosting a
long time spammer.  http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL17240

Does URI checking really need to be so thorough?  Obviously there must
be some bias at spamhaus if the big named ISPs don't get their name
servers listed because we know that they provide services to spammers.
Any idea on how to limit the scope to just the URI at it's face value?

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 3:55:52 AM, Bobby Rose wrote:

> I figured out the problem, it' was the an individuals email address in
> the message body (even though not a mailto).  Their email domain isn't
> listed at spamhaus.org but it turns out one of their ISPs DNS servers
> are which they are using as secondary.  This makes the second time I've
> come across this.  The last time it was an ISP's (pipex.net) DNS server
> in the U.K. that was tripping the URIBL_SBL rule.

> This time the user is in the med.juntendo.ac.jp (Juntendo Univ Med
> School) who's ISP is cwidc.net and the DNS server  ns03.cwidc.net
> (154.33.17.212) is the one in spamhaus.org which they say is hosting a
> long time spammer.  http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL17240

> Does URI checking really need to be so thorough?  Obviously there must
> be some bias at spamhaus if the big named ISPs don't get their name
> servers listed because we know that they provide services to spammers.
> Any idea on how to limit the scope to just the URI at it's face value?

uridnsbl used in the default rule URIBL_SBL does check domain
name servers against SBL, but I'm kind of surprised to hear it
triggering on email addresses.  It should definitely be checking
web sites and the like.  Can you give a sample of the text it
hit?  Was it in URI form like:

  mailto://someaddress@somedomain.com

That said, I agree that the SBL listings are at times overbroad.
Name servers for gov.ru and spb.ru for example are listed
(ns.rtcomm.ru and ns1.relcom.ru respectively).  Listings like
those can cause false positives, and I personally object to
deliberately harming innocent bystanders to "pressure" ISPs.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org